My collection so far.

SD45elect2000

Very good models as usual Randall. Well done.

And as usual, they make me think.

For the Swordfish, where did you get the squadron markings? I ask because I was surprised to see a full length red band on the upper wing.

For the Gladiator, would lighter green and brown on the lower wings be applicable for this squadron? I guess there are references for both options, so I’ve more or less answered my own question.

I am asking to improve my knowledge base.

Thanks Dominic,

the Swordfish I did find it in a book to verify that it was indeed painted this way as indicated by Extradecal set 72144 representing 822 NAS HMS Courageous in 1938.

The Gladiator was painted per the Airfix instructions , I did not seek additional info about it. I have built an Airfix Gladiator with the “shadow” colors in the past ( photo below) , but it wasn’t called for in this kit, I assumed Airfix got it right.

forum_image_657c41273fbe8.thumb.png.70e8a7507097a3c71f74c0b1f35b93b3.png

Randall

• Like 1

Dominic and Randall

The camouflage on the Gladiator looks spot on from my reference: Camouflage and Markings: RAF Fighter Command 1936-1945 by Goulding & Jones -1971.

The pictures, art work and text certainly support Randall’s / Airfix representation. I don’t see any reference there to deletion of the upper surface standard camo on the lower wing.

Domenic, were you referring to something that you had seen for this particular squadron? As we all know, there were frequent deviations from the Air Ministry directives when they were applied in the field!

Tim

By the way my reference: Camouflage and Markings: RAF Fighter Command 1936-1945 by Goulding & Jones is available from the on line used book shops…Abes books has a copy for 6 pounds right now mailed out of the UK.
Tim

That’s useful info, I have ordered the book, as usual thank you Tim.

For fun, here are my two Gladiators in two different schemes:

.forum_image_657c6e491c7f5.png.34e852c4b54d9af2cc295959e51c2e49.pngforum_image_657c6e4b6899e.png.9244475cc34d6f28e82b7bcdb4d6b79b.pngforum_image_657c6e4dd5285.png.1009b7de47b9c9084eb071966a3d4ab2.pngforum_image_657c6e50125ca.png.3a643fe8dca21c00e398a1f836a1da83.png

• Like 1

Tim,

Given that the Gladiator’s service came at a time when the brown/green upper camouflage colours were being introduced, it is to be expected that different presentations were to be seen. It was thought that if biplanes had lighter shades of brown and green on the lower wings, the shadow cast by the supper wing would result in the ‘appearance’ of uniform colours.

Now, a couple of things brought this approach to a halt - the pressure of war and the phase out of biplanes.

However, it’s probably to be expected that both approaches would be seen, and even on the same squadron. This is why I said that I had seen references to both on Gladiators of 112 Squadron. I don’t know why I asked the question really as I then went on to answer it myself. Ho hum.

Hello Dominic

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought your issue was if the upper surfaces of the lower wing were painted at all ie left in the pre-war silver.

Yes, in reading further in Goulding, you are exactly right that “the areas in shadow, such as the upper surfaces of the lower wing, the lower sides of the fuselage, the area of the fuselage in the shadow of the upper wing, the vertical tail and rudder…..were painted in light green and light earth which were tone lighter than the standard colours.”

And a closer look at James Gouldings art work shows these standards applied to KW-T of 615 Sqd on page 117.

You have a very sharp eye and depth of knowledge of the peculiarities of the Air Ministry specs!

Cheers,

Tim

im a bit behind with things, the rigging on the gladiators is really good once again your skill at doing it is excellent, the two tone paintwork isn't something you see very often.

I have to admit the dauntless has to be one of my favourites you have built i think the colours and weathering are great.

As for the PZL its not a kit I've seen built before its an interesting kit that you have built to your usually high standard.

im a bit behind with things, the rigging on the gladiators is really good once again your skill at doing it is excellent, the two tone paintwork isn't something you see very often.
I have to admit the dauntless has to be one of my favourites you have built i think the colours and weathering are great.
As for the PZL its not a kit I've seen built before its an interesting kit that you have built to your usually high standard.

Thank you Paul, always good to hear from you !

Randall

Thanks Dominic!

I don’t know enough about the A20 to have preferences. I do try to make the dull green airplanes a little more interesting with different finishes, I wouldn’t like them without the weathering.

I am planning to do several versions, I have a few more in the stash (8 more).

I did like the way the RAF one looks though.

Randall