Fitting TTS to a Re-built Merchant Navy Class

Bulleidboy

I have just fitted a re-built Hornby Merchant Navy Class with the R7141 TTS Decoder and speaker. Everything goes into the tender, and the tender came apart without any dramas. Inside the tender is large shaped weight, and the speaker fits below this. When refitting the weight, I am sure it touches both terminals on the speaker? I have fitted a short piece of Kapton Tape across the terminals and refitted the weight, and the loco is currently purring away on the rolling road and the sound all works. I fitted the Kapton Tape before powering-up the loco. Has anyone else found this a problem or could-be problem?

I bin the Hornby speakers and replace them with thin bass reflex speakers off Road and Rails. I know the Hornby speakers are free but they sound dreadful. As the speaker is so thin it sits on top of the weight.

Can you give a bit more info on this? I have 3 Hornby TTS locos (one that I fitted myself) & never got around to fitting other speakers. Do you have a link for the speakers? How do you arrange the decoder with the speaker in the tender?

I am in the process at the moment of going through my loco fleet & doing any maintenance, repairs, upgrades etc. required. A lot of them have been packed away for a few years. I still had a Mallard with an original Hornby loco decoder in it (can't remember the part number now). flushed I'll add the TTS locos to the list...

This is my Mallard with the original speaker in a simple tube enclosure sitting on top of the weight. Other speakers would mount in a similar fashion. I ran the wires back to the loco.

See Roads and Rails for speakers and several fitting guides for recent models.

forum_image_6333fbdceb458.png.6eb9a7564a593933eb6bc7d4476e362a.png