What is the latest version of Railmaster software

1.74.5 is the current latest version and has not been updated for some considerable extended time. To see the actual installed version on your PC, hover the mouse cursor over the small oblong yellow box near the clock which shows the main version number (in your case 1.74) and a small popup should appear stating the revision level i.e Revision 5 this makes it 1.74.5

You cannot initiate a loco database update manually. It is automatic at start up. So your RM PC needs to be connected to the Internet when RM starts.

However, note the following:

1) When RM starts it does two checks. Firstly, it looks to see if a new MAJOR version update of RM is available. If one is available a popup message gives you the option to accept or decline the update.

2) Secondly, it looks to see if a loco database update is available. If there is no update, you get absolutely no indication on screen of this checks status. If an update is available there is an extremely fast horizontal flash of small text across the top middle of the RM screen, just to the right of the pull down program list box. You have to be staring at this spot on the screen as RM loads to see it, as it flashes up and disappears very quickly. In 10 plus years I have only seen this message appear twice, mainly because I have not been consistently looking at this screen spot during RM 'start up' loading, because my loco roster is stable and I have no need to add any new locos and if I were to add a new loco, it wouldn't be a Hornby one anyway, so the Hornby database for me is an irrevelant feature of RM.

3) For all intents and purposes the automatic loco database updates occur silently in the background and there is no settings that will change this. A loco database update status may appear in the RM log, but to be honest it is not something I have gone looking for, so I cannot categorically say it exists in the log or not.

4) Note: I put MAJOR in capitals in note 1) of this reply for a specific reason. You are only notified that an RM application update is available when it is a MAJOR update. HRMS can potentially issue several MINOR updates between MAJOR updates. These have to be installed manually. Usually minor updates are bought to members attention in this forum, or at least they used to be when moderator Chrissaf was on the forum as he always reported them.

5) The best way to check for MINOR update availability is to download the RM installer from the link in the forum sticky thread and check the version number. The published link will always download the latest version. If the downloaded file has a higher version number (look at the file properties) than the installed version, then manually update RM by just running the downloaded version over the top of the installed version. Do not uninstall the current version first.

6) I also highly recommend that you keep a copy of the current RM installer file whilst it is still available to download, so that you can go back if a future updated version has a bug (which happens far too frequently).

7) It is unfortunately a 'fact of life' that the loco database is very slow to be updated with new loco releases. HRMS have to be given a production example of the loco so that they can run the physical auto-profile routine to characterise the motor and its behaviour. It is not a case of just adding the loco details into the database as a paper based theoretical exercise. Thus there has always typically been a lag between loco release to market and it appearing in the database. I recall that some locos were not included for months after launch.

P.S. HRMS is not part of Hornby Hobbies, they are an external software contractor. Thus the loco database updates are not done 'in-house' by Hornby staff.

Just to add to Fishman's post. As previously stated in my original reply, I don't use the Hornby loco database as my locos are not Hornby brand. My locos have been added manually to my RM loco throttle list using the 'how to' written by Chrissaf (FAQ2).

There is absolutely no mandatory need to use the database, it is just a time saver for Hornby branded locos. It can all (with the exception of HRMS' scale speed auto-profiling) be done using the manual loco installation described in FAQ2.

• 2 months later...

@Michael_A

One of the most frequently reported problems with installing RailMaster is an AV system and usually members disable AV for installation (if that is possible)

Many many people (including me) have run RailMaster for years, so yes it is safe.