Update Shop with photos and accurate descriptions

Rallymatt

The Arnold TT pages of the shop are very lacking, the majority of what is offered is ‘awaiting photo’ and has been for months. Full descriptions of items are poor too.

I would buy more but right now it’s a bit like pinning the tail on the donkey!

I have purchased Arnold TT because launch of Hornby TT 120 has lured me back to the hobby and I will run a mix of UK and oveseas stock, I am probably not the only person either!

A pointer to Hornby sales team, online/mail order needs a superb ‘shop window’ with all the detail to hand, you have the tech specs, almost certainly the photos just a bit of application needed 😁

And just in case Tim picks up on this post, he might like to mention to his colleagues dealing with the British range that the comment regarding accurate descriptions applies probably even more so there - just one howler that comes immediately to mind is the wheel configuration stated for the Jinty tank in the R1285M/RS30 Crash set to be 2-2-2!

*** Moderator - I've spotted the location and asked for it to be fixed (Tim)

Fully agree with @Rallymatt. The descriptions and presentation need worked on and whoever thought that a picture of a RhB narrow gauge train in snow was a nice idea as a Christmas home page picture needs their head examined. None of the Hornby Int'l brands produce a model of this train - but in HO it would run on 12mm track so that might be a hint for January!

How difficult would it have been to find a picture of something Electroten/Jouef/Lima/Rivarossi actually produce in snow? I feel that in the rush to churn out yet more HSTs, A1/A3s and purple Pacifics, Hornby Int'l customers get forgotten about.

I also agree with previous comments. Hornby International is an afterthought. Although the range has been expanded a fair proportion is old tooling albeit improved but at a substantially increased price. They are trying to be all things to all people but not entirely successfully. Perhaps smaller ranges for all the brands with delivery not so far into the future??

Hi Rallymatt,

Not sure I'm seeing what you are in the Arnold TT section.

Arnold TT Scale Models (arnoldmodel.com)

I've checked the first 7 pages of products the only 'image waiting' is for spare parts - which won't always be photographed due to volume and the fact all are shown on the instruction sheet in the box, and appears in Tech Support area as a PDF.

The other points about longer descriptions I'll check out the info and see what we can add. In general we try and provide facts and features about the models.

Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for the response, perhaps I wasn’t specific enough, photos of spare parts is very useful particularly when trying to utilise parts in a different way 😁 but some of the specifications on rolling stock is a bit sparse in places. I’m sure you will see an increased interest in Arnold TT now Hornby TT is coming on line very soon. Hopefully some of the other International brands will adopt TT.

@Tim@Hornby

Unfortunately I have to agree with @Rallymatt. Some more care and effort need to be put into parts of the website. I have my eye on the upcoming Electrotren bogie container wagons. HE6044 RENFE, 4-axle container wagon MMC3, with 45' container MAERSK doesn't have a single bit of product info. Does it have a close coupling mechanism? Does it have a diecast body? Something to help 'sell' a £60 wagon would be useful. The sister wagon, HE6045 Transfesa, 4-axle container wagon MMC3 with 45' container BOLUDA has a description for a different product - a three wagon set. And I've not tried to check the whole site.

When competing for sales with the likes of Roco, the website is the shop window and needs to be merchandised accordingly. I am fully engaged with Electrotren and more than half my model railway collection comes from this brand. Can we have the same effort put in that can be seen with OO?

(I have only looked at the English language side.)

• 2 weeks later...

In fairness the example you give @ellocoloco does have more details.

HE6044

The title and and long description will be written in the language for the local market, then they get shortened or translated into the other 4 market languages.

On product specifications, here is the info which tells you there is a Close Coupling mechanism.

We use pictograms and yes/no options as it needs no translation - each language variant of the website has a template holding the standard questions in their local language - and knows which reply to display without us translating thousands of product descriptions.

forum_image_63a2f935137c7.thumb.png.24fedc70c8ab9550a8f891a38cf8f759.png