Consensus on exhaust collector ring color

If you paint one colour it will look painted. Think about what collector rings are made of and what happens to them Firstly they're made of metal, so a metallic steel or gunmetal to start with. They get hot, so discolouration occurs, maybe a transparent or metallic blue washed over. Then they rust, so careful dry brushing of various rust shades, not all over but in selected areas. My 2 pennyworth.

Hi rod

I've picked a few different ones out so that you can see how they differ from each other even on the same aircraft at times ,

they might be useful to you as some sort of reference, I've not altered the colours at all its how they were taken on the day I've only cropped them so there not so big and focus on the exhaust area for this thread,

but as you say there is so many factors that can alter a picture as you take it let alone how you have your monitor set and how our own eyes see the colour when you look at them later on, it can only be a guide in the end

its down to what you are happy with when its finished

Hi randall

I'm lucky one of my passions is second world war aircraft and there's a lot of museum's to go to some just have a few bits that have been found locally then there's the big ones like duxford, sadly I've not been able to get to any for a few years or any air shows.

I've only put a few on so as to not overload people with pictures of the same thing but if there is something you want to look at better just ask i can always go through my pictures to see if i have it and post it for you, not all my pictures turn out good but with digital cameras it don't matter that much these days,

hopefully they will help you as a reference to look at and a starting point

paul

On inline engines, like the Merlin and the Allison V-1710, The forward outlet pipe would be heat-stained. Those to the rear of that one would be grey-stained by the TEL ( tetraeythyl lead ) that was added to the fuel to delay pre-combustion in the high compression engine cylinders. You cab see the stains on the undersides of Avro Lancaster wings as well as on top on the wings.

As for radial engine exhaust rings, look for photos of restored flying examples. Some sre shown earlier in this topic. The RAF did use black paint ( a kind of stove enamel type ) to cover the glow of hot metal on their night flying aircraft, to help hide them from German nightfighters.

This diagram shows how/where the heat-staining occurred on Bristol Radials:

forum_image_639e63d1d291f.png.04b303bf8687faee5010733c3e76be14.png

Chris

I think I can duplicate the heat stains . A layered approach like Ratch suggested is probably the best. You can do a lot with the Alclad paint. Maybe a base of copper, with small amounts of white aluminum at the edges. Then a dirty wash over the copper.

it will be fun to play with it a bit. I am building a Blenheim so I have a good reference above. I can’t wait to see the results.

Randall