App based control

Ralphy51

I want to move from HM2000 to the App based solution . I want to stay with Analogue . As I understand it I need the HM6010 unit with a transformer to operate 4 sets of points with R044 switches .What purpose does the HM6010 unit serve given that the control of the points is via the switch please ?

Any advice gratefully received ๐Ÿ˜„

The HM6010 does not need any additional external physical switches. The HM6010 performs the switching function to replace a physical switch. The three wires from your four solenoid point motors are wired directly to the four 'three-terminal' ports of the HM6010, the wires do not go via any other physical components such as switches. If you look through the existing HM6010 questions in the HM | DC sub-forum you might gleam a better understanding of the product. The HM6010 is in effect performing a similar function to a DCC Accessory Decoder to operate point motors, but in an Analogue environment under APP control.

You could alternatively, leave your point operation exactly as it is currently wired [presumably using your HM2000 Aux output with R044 switches] and just use the HM6000 unit plus APP to control your locos. If you did that, you wouldn't need a HM6010 at all.

The track is controlled by the HM6000 module and the accessories by the HM6010 module, noting that port 4 is designed to run a turntable or other motor driven accessories at 12volts so is not as effective as ports 1-3 (14volts output) for operating solenoid points motors.

Have a read of the various documents listed at the top of this section for details as well as watch the videos. You can also instal the free app and have a play with it to get a feel for the range of controls.

Iโ€™ve researched this a little more but have one more question please . In my current layout , the power supply is soldered to the underside of the track . Is the HM6000 unit supplied with a connector into which I can connect the wires rather than having to buy the specific Hornby power track ?

This Hornby page lists the HM6000 & 6010 manuals downloadable in PDF format.

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/sections/360005606180-HM-DC

The HM6000 Quick Start Guide manual shows that the two track outputs are factory pre-terminated with Hornby twin pin plugs that insert into Hornby power track connectors. This however does not stop you from fabricating a suitable female socket based connector to allow your existing track wires to connect. Just needs a bit of ingenuity. For example a pair of suitably sized industry standard electrical screw down strip terminals. One end of which screws down on the HM6000 plug pins and the other end screws down on your existing track wires.

A suitable interface is a simple choc block terminal strip. Use one of the correct amperage to give you the required spacing. Your track wires can be connected as well as the HM6000 end plug.

You may wish to use the 3-dot menu to delete all those duplicate posts.