Do you Spay Paint Your Primer on Parts on the sprue or do you remove to prime?

I try not to paint anything until absolutely necessary, that way whatever cement/glue you're using has the best chance of providing a strong bond. Spraying primer on parts beforehand, whether on or off the runners means you'll likely end up with paint to remove from bonding surfaces. After that the consideration is how much you can assemble before it becomes impossible to reach visible surfaces in order to paint them.

Recently there seems to be a school of thought that when using thin/hot cement, then it will bond through paint layers, and this is probably true up to a point, but not something I'd be prepared to bank on for main assemblies.

Other people will have a different experience and quite happily prime parts in advance of construction, but one drawback I see with this is that priming over joints and seams often shows up areas that might need a little sanding or filling.

As with all these things your mileage may vary.

I concur with Peebeep.

The other disadvantage to priming before assembly, particularly with Airfix's new toolings, is that a layer of paint can seriously interfere with the fit and cause horrendous problems further down the line.

Every model is different and there's no one single approach. For example most Airfix AFV's in 1/76 can be practically fully assembled before you even think about applying paint but a model like the B type Omnibus would be impossible to paint after assembly. Most of the painting would have to be done while still on the sprue. Most kits probably require a bit of both. I assemble as much as I can that can be painted after assembly and paint on the sprue what I can't. As I've said each model is it's own separate story. That's half the fun of it.

have a go at doing me a bit of a process chart …….I knew that 5 years in production planning would come in for some use eventually 🤭

Way to go, or as a flying instructor once told me use the five P's. Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance. It can of course be six, but we're not allowed to say that here. wink

Just back to modelling after 30 years away and great to hear thoughts on this. My instinct is to be a pre-painter but never considered how it might affect the fit or the bonding issues.

If you've been away for 30 years I'd experiment with the paints before you apply them to your model. Long gone are the days of one coat Lead Enamels which leave no brush marks. When I returned to the hobby about 13 years ago I got caught out with the quick drying time of acrylics. I was trying to use them as I had the aforementioned Enamels of the seventies and eighties. Lots of thin coats needed for a good finish particularly with the Glosses.

Just back to modelling after 30 years away and great to hear thoughts on this. My instinct is to be a pre-painter but never considered how it might affect the fit or the bonding issues.

If you've been away for 30 years I'd experiment with the paints before you apply them to your model. Long gone are the days of one coat Lead Enamels which leave no brush marks. When I returned to the hobby about 13 years ago I got caught out with the quick drying time of acrylics. I was trying to use them as I had the aforementioned Enamels of the seventies and eighties. Lots of thin coats needed for a good finish particularly with the Glosses.

Thank you! Yeah, I've struggled with painting my first model (1:32 Triumph Herald)