Hypothetical situation for eveyone

ModelMad2022

Hello to all.

I have a hypothetical situation to pu to everyone. Ok here goes....

You have been put in charge of Airfix's 2024 release schedule, given a closing date of January 1st 2024 to get all models ready to show the public on January 10th 2024.

You are told the future of the Airfix brand rests on your shoulders, so you are under pressure to make decisions that will keep Airfix competitive and gain a bigger share of the market to ensure the future of the company and those that work for Airfix.

You have enough money in your budget for 2 brand new complete moulds, you can upgrade 8 current moulds to produce new variants of any particular mould, the rest to be spent on re releases of moulds you have in the factory that do not need any work done to them, and some to be released in the vintage classic range.

You are told to create a range of let's say 30 models to be released in 2024, so what would you release knowing the future success of the Airfix brand and company lays in your hands?

I just curious to see what everyone would do, considering there are so many saying they are not happy with most or all of the 2023 range.

My choices would be

( all 1/72 unless stated ):

New Kits:

Lincoln,

Skyraider.

Recent models upgraded:

F4B Phantom USN,

F4C Phantom USAF,

Mosquito fighter bomber,

Late version Skyhawk,

Mig 15 with kit errors corrected,

Early version Sea King USN,

Sherman tank - Korean War,

1/35 Ferret Mk 1/2.

Recent kits with new decals:

Nakajima Kate,

Eurofighter Typhoon in display colours,

BAC Canberra B1(8),

EE Lightning F6 in colourful squadron markings.

Vintage Classics:

1/600 HMS Ajax,

1/600 HMS Iron Duke,

Vosper MBT,

1/12 Richard 1,

1/12 Black Prince,

Cessna 02,

F86D Sabre,

Puma,

Gazelle,

Roland,

Hanover,

1/76 Chieftain,

1/76 Centurion,

1/76 Scorpion.

I could easily triple the vintage classics list because there are so many I would like to see again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, let's think, if I'm bringing out kits to be financially viable, and not fulfilling my own wish list...

To start, we've only recently had a 1/24 superkit, so wait another year or two before the next.

1/48 aircraft seems to be a popular scale for airfix at the moment, so how about a new tool 1/48 Hawker Typhoon, that seems to fit in with the current 1/48 range. So that's new tool 1.

No mainstream 1/72 aircraft this year, which caused a bit of upset, so next year has to have one. Again fitting in with Airfix's range, a Tornado GR4. No one else does the GR4 as far as I know, and if the breakdown of parts was done right, a F3 and GR1, and overseas IDS could follow in coming years. That's new tool 2.

Updated moulds.

The Vulcan could be released as the K2 tanker version with an extra sprue, and as the Falkland's Black Buck version.

The Spitfire Vc 1/72, as a clipped wing non tropical filter version ( the parts are already on the sprues)

The Beaufort in 1/72 has an extra turret already, so maybe marry that up with new engines to make a later mark.

The 1/72 Canberra B(I)8, a new cockpit canopy area to make it as a B2 or 6

How's that for starters?

Hi MadModel2022

This idea and exercise are brilliant! 

This is obviously harder than just sending in our wishes for some obscure, unmarketable and unsaleable model and then in some cases berating Airfix for not offering that kit.

This exercise, if we take it seriously and have a modicum of knowledge about business, forces us to evaluate the possibilities of the various subjects and balance a whole range of issues. Aircraft vs armour vs ships vs cars and what to do about the various scales going forward. 

I have two questions…

1) What market are we looking at? Each of us can answer that in our own plan. 

Would it be correct to think that the current Airfix marketing strategy is to concentrate on the UK / Commonwealth, European & US markets?

If this is correct are we staying there or are we going to go after the Far East manufacturers in their own market. The recent 1/24th scale Hellcat, 1/72 Pearl Harbour participants and 1/48th scale F-86F-40 tend to make me think the later.

2) Two new molds is a good start, but could we make some allowance for the complexity of the individual molds……maybe two new mold units where a unit is…

1 new mold kit unit = one 1/24th scale single engine fighter = four 1/48th scale single engine fighter sized aircraft = two 1/48th scale medium size twins = one 1/48th 2 or 4 engine heavies = nine 1/72nd scale single engine fighter sized aircraft = four 1/72nd scale medium size twins = two 1/72nd scale 2 or 4 engine heavies. Then 1 mold unit = three 1/35 tanks = two 1/600th battleships = six 1/43 cars?

Just some thoughts before I post my plan. 

Tim

Another option is to personally fund a model that you have faith will sell well, get your cash back when the contract is reconciled

Hi Randall

Good Question... What do you think it would cost to develop say a 1/72 fighter kit like the recent Hawker Tempest?

So we have costs for Lidar, Engineering, Mold preparation, testing, production, marketing, distribution and many other things I have not thought of yet.....but I am guessing 250,000 pounds or more. What's your guess?

But I think that the point of MadModel2022's exercise is to make us think about how a kit for our favourite subject can come to fruition in the big scheme of things.

Tim

Another option is to personally fund a model that you have faith will sell well, get your cash back when the contract is reconciled

Hi Randall
Good Question... What do you think it would cost to develop say a 1/72 fighter kit like the recent Hawker Tempest?
So we have costs for Lidar, Engineering, Mold preparation, testing, production, marketing, distribution and many other things I have not thought of yet.....but I am guessing 250,000 pounds or more. What's your guess?

But I think that the point of MadModel2022's exercise is to make us think about how a kit for our favourite subject can come to fruition in the big scheme of things.

Tim

I’m thinking roughly the same as you provided you are going to do the bulk of R&D gratis.

Randall

• 3 weeks later...

I'd imagine that what every is brewing for 2024 will have the possibility of multiple versions eg Mosquito and Blenheim. I've said it elsewhere but the Scout/Wasp or newer marks of A-4 (K/M/Super 1&2 Seats) would be easy ways to cash in on development costs long term.