Hornby TT starving Airfix of new models?

After watching Hornby a model world. It appears that Hornby are plowing money into TT scale model railways. At the expense of new model development at their other brands? Here I go again no Airfix Queen Elizabeth carrier but a TT scale model of the Flying Scotsman and coaches and track etc. I'm sure the launch costs of a totally new model railway scale. Out weights a couple of new Airfix model kits. Seems plastic kit scale modelers are the poor relations of the model railway fraternity

• 4 weeks later...

The new TT120 system does not match the old 3mm TT3 system. The track gauge remains the same, but the locos and stock are 1/120th scale.

The heritage Triang / Hornby systems are 00/H0 ( 4mm ) approx 1/76th. This uses 00 scale stock on H0 track. ( 1/87th ) A correct 00 system should have a track width of 18.83 mm, not the continental 1/87th scale. Realistically, the only accurate Tri-ang Locos were the American items, so that it was an H0 system. Most were based on British Pattern chassis already available.

Tri-ang TT3 ( 3 mm Scale ) also carried on using 3 mm gauge locos on 12 mm track.

Both systems showed stock which was actually narrower wheel span than the matching scale.

The new TT120 uses correct width rails for the new locos. This gives them a more accurate look. It also moves them nearer N Gauge at 1.148th scale, where the old system was bang in the centre, betweem 1/76th and 1/148th. The track width remains the same at c12mm. The TT3 fraternity seem less than enthusiastic about the new releases, as their stock is going to look considerably larger. To me TT3 will always be a Classic System. The new system is not a repeat. Hornby never made a TT Gauge, until now. I think it looks good, and I hope it does well. It has been well thought out. Not sure about the existing distributors not getting a Look In, but, for the time being, Hornby want full control. I understand how long term distributors, shops, mail order businesses etc feel. Sales to Hornby direct will mean No Sales for them. I feel that this is a bit unfair. We shall have to wait and see how that goes..

I think that Airfix are actually having a lean year, but we still have plenty to work on, so we can hold off for a while. I continue to suggest ideas to Airfix that would be a sensible use of their limited resources.

Hornby are showing no sign of cutting back on their 00/H0 lines ( Pun intended.) and have a packed 2023 release page, though many are just repaints.

When you consider the lead time for idea, through research, to design, they have stated this can be 3 years. What we maybe seeing are the consequences of the pandemic and the inability of being able to get out to physically see what they want to measure, photograph etc. They have to rely on what they have available and adapt existing tools. This may be the case for a couple of years whilst it works through the system. Some of the items may already have been started when it all kicked off, so were put "in the sack " to tide them over. The gannet may be one such project, and that's why we don't have so many new tools this year compared to last the last couple of years.

When you consider the lead time for idea, through research, to design, they have stated this can be 3 years. What we maybe seeing are the consequences of the pandemic and the inability of being able to get out to physically see what they want to measure, photograph etc. They have to rely on what they have available and adapt existing tools. This may be the case for a couple of years whilst it works through the system. Some of the items may already have been started when it all kicked off, so were put "in the sack " to tide them over. The gannet may be one such project, and that's why we don't have so many new tools this year compared to last the last couple of years.

An interesting analysis, but it's not unusual to have a 'consolidation' year after a couple of busy years. The last few years have been relatively bountiful, especially in comparison with what things were like before the Hornby takeover. The guys in Germany are also offering a relatively thin 2023 programme, it may be tied in with the economic cycle. We've all got used to prolific programmes.