Airfix Model World featured builds

Gavin-1212362

Interesting Ratch.

Maybe too much for every build, so everything's duplicated? What about that for anytime Airfix release a new mould that's featured, or if there isn't one then just one build in the magazine? Then at least there's something for everyone in each issue?

That would be where the editor earns his crust innocent

Hi Gavin.

Chris Clifford, AMW's 'Editor at large' has replied to your question and other aspects raised in the thread:

“I’d like to address several points here.

Regarding gradings in AMW, we have to take an average because we can’t account for everyone’s individual skill levels… that’s impossible.

What we do is make a measured stab at what we think it is, taking into account the materials included (PE, resin and the like). The Infinity Helldiver offers PE and paint masks in the box, so we are duty bound to highlight them. Sadly, the wrong grading was afforded to the Helldiver, which should have been Intermediate at least due to the challenging fit and presence of kit-supplied aftermarket.

In terms of the type of modeller AMW is aimed at, we cater for all… as evidenced by the presence of aftermarket, but also basic from-the-box builds. All new Airfix toolings are built in the latter way on their first showing, and then we tend to use aftermarket on their reissue so the coverage doesn’t repeat itself. We have many out-of-the box builds, as well as the semi-regular Back to Basics features, which have covered brush painting and plenty of other beginner skills.

Any accusation that AMW does not cater for the average modeller is, frankly, incorrect.

We also do highlight any problems with a kit in its building, whether it’s Airfix or any other brand. Lastly, AMW covers as many different brands as it can, besides Airfix. The original Airfix magazine from the 1960s onwards always did this and we are simply carrying on with that ethos.”

TTFN

Steve

Morning Steve.

That was a fast response from Chris. Thank you.

It was good to acknowledge the ball was dropped with the Helldiver article. There's some thoughts there I don't agree with, but it's not a bun fight. And there's very good reasons he's the editor and not me :-) It was interesting for me to read that new moulds are built OOB and then re-releases get aftermarket - nice approach.

Ultimately people will vote with their feet, in or out. Despite what I think are flaws, I'll continue to subscribe for the foreseeable future. It's not perfect, but what is? Generally I look forward to it every month.

Thanks for your input. Have a good week.

Hi Gavin.

Chris Clifford extends his kind thanks for your polite and well reasoned reply. Both Chris and Stu are always happy to receive any feedback and suggestions about the style, content and direction of AMW.

Chris Clifford (Editor at large) can be reached at: chris.clifford@keypublishing.com

Stu Fone (AMW Editor) can be reached at: stuart.fone@keypublishing.com

Chris said he's keen to understand your thoughts more, so please do drop Chris a line to let him know. That invitation applies equally to all by the way, so have your say.

I'm grateful to you for raising the thread. slightly_smiling_face

TTFN

Steve

I would say that on the odd occasion that I contacted Mr Clifford, he was quick to respond and helpful. So, it’s definitely worth writing to him.

AMW always summarises the new Airfix releases in the magazine. I am surprised though that I couldn’t find mention of the new-build F35b. Surely a new kit of this aircraft to Airfix’s current standard deserves maximum publicity, unless of course it’s not to that standard …..

I would say that on the odd occasion that I contacted Mr Clifford, he was quick to respond and helpful. So, it’s definitely worth writing to him.

AMW always summarises the new Airfix releases in the magazine. I am surprised though that I couldn’t find mention of the new-build F35b. Surely a new kit of this aircraft to Airfix’s current standard deserves maximum publicity, unless of course it’s not to that standard …..

Hi Dominic.

The F-35b is in the latest issue (February cover date) along with the other Airfix releases for 2023, in a special news article I understand.

AMW can’t say a lot about it at the minute because no test-shot is currently available, so comment on the detail levels is understandably not possible.

As soon as a test-shot is received (due soon I believe), it’ll be previewed and then built in full, as usual.

TTFN

Steve

Steve,

My mistake. It does feature in the review of course, in the three forms [starter set and the two paired sets].

My point really is that for a kit as significant as this one, it would normally be introduced as a stand-alone kit with the appropriate fanfare. After all, the Academy and Italeri kits are very detailed and have been available for a while.

Now the problem is that this year is the 80th anniversary of the Dams Raid, so I can see the need to issue a combined kit with the Lancaster.

AMW states that Starter Sets are a step between Quickbuilds and Series 1 kits, and offer a simpler introduction to mainstream kits. Being someone influenced by conspiracy theories, a change from the norm is worrying especially if there’s not more detailed information. Of course, this will all be clarified in the fullness of time, but at this time of year, this website and others are full of comments about the latest Airfix releases. I presume Airfix do understand the eagerness with which modellers look forward to the potential of new releases so I feel that the publicity department need to handle any changes of direction in a more informative manner as early as possible.

Thanks fr replying so quickly, and I do understand that AMW can only go into detail when test shots arrive.

Best wishes, D

Steve,
My mistake. It does feature in the review of course, in the three forms [starter set and the two paired sets].
My point really is that for a kit as significant as this one, it would normally be introduced as a stand-alone kit with the appropriate fanfare. After all, the Academy and Italeri kits are very detailed and have been available for a while.
Now the problem is that this year is the 80th anniversary of the Dams Raid, so I can see the need to issue a combined kit with the Lancaster.
AMW states that Starter Sets are a step between Quickbuilds and Series 1 kits, and offer a simpler introduction to mainstream kits. Being someone influenced by conspiracy theories, a change from the norm is worrying especially if there’s not more detailed information. Of course, this will all be clarified in the fullness of time, but at this time of year, this website and others are full of comments about the latest Airfix releases. I presume Airfix do understand the eagerness with which modellers look forward to the potential of new releases so I feel that the publicity department need to handle any changes of direction in a more informative manner as early as possible.
Thanks fr replying so quickly, and I do understand that AMW can only go into detail when test shots arrive.
Best wishes, D

Hi Dominic.

Thanks for that.

I've no idea where the F-35b will 'sit' in terms of the modelling experience. I hope it's all you want it to be when it's ready for the flight line.

Pretty sure Airfix are aware of that "...eagerness..." you mention, particularly as their management team are responsible for generating it in the first place... laughing

Me? I'm always totally Zen about new releases winding up in my modelling bunker...

TTFN

Pinocchio