Airfix Model World featured builds

Gavin-1212362

I often wonder how AMW define what are to be Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced builds.

This month's (February) is a good example. The Helldiver on p.22 is defined as Basic. Yet to begin with its a 1/32 - scale alone doesn't define difficulty, but usually larger models are a bit more of a challenge. Secondly, there's quite a bit of aftermarket involved - not something I'd associate with a Basic build. Lastly, it provided the contributor with several challenges - and I'm presuming Peter is a very competent modeller or he wouldn't be appearing in this magazine! In fact, in his summary he says its a kit for the experienced.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

I understand that and I've got no inclination to raise it with the magazine. I just thought I'd ask other people's views, here on this general discussion forum - I thought maybe I was missing something with AMW.

I don't seem to be - as you agree :-) I wonder how they categorise these things, as we don't seem to know.

AMW is a very good magazine. They often have write ups about "how to" various aspects of model making. EG Decals, sanding, filling, clear parts. I found the articles about airbrushes particularly interesting and I've been building models for the last 60 odd years.

How to define modeller's skills? Very difficult. I would define them as:

Out of the box builders - Basic

Modified / Convertied kits - Intermediate

Scratchbuilders - Advanced.

Having said that I am a scratchbuilder but I cannot finish an aircraft kit to the standard of some of the out-of-the box built kits I have seen. ..... So where does that place me?

Out of the box defined as basic skill level seems too restrictive. I would define someone who can throw together an Airfix Spitfire starter kit as basic skill level. If you can successfully build one of the 1970s 1/24 aircraft Airfix produced with all the sanding and filling etc required then you are way over basic skill level.

I often wonder how AMW define what are to be Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced builds.

This month's (February) is a good example. The Helldiver on p.22 is defined as Basic. Yet to begin with its a 1/32 - scale alone doesn't define difficulty, but usually larger models are a bit more of a challenge. Secondly, there's quite a bit of aftermarket involved - not something I'd associate with a Basic build. Lastly, it provided the contributor with several challenges - and I'm presuming Peter is a very competent modeller or he wouldn't be appearing in this magazine! In fact, in his summary he says its a kit for the experienced.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Hi Gavin.

I'm an AMW contributor (my last build was the new 1/24 IXc Spitfire). I'll put your question to the boss Stu Fone and let you know here what he says.

TTFN

Steve

I am a long time AMW reader and have collected every issue which for the past 10 years has been very easy with a subscription for the digital issue.

I have not paid too much attention to the category of the build but to me they are talking about the build not the modeller’s ability.

There are variations in the abilities and processes (ie brush vs airbrush) of the model builders. In the basic build category, some brush painted models have been a little rough in my view while others have been near museum quality…but that is a result of variations in abilities, processes and maybe time spent achieving the results….but they were pretty much out of the box builds.

I enjoy seeing the techniques that are used in each build and the results that are achieved. To the best of my knowledge AMW has not indicated that basic means beginner…..certainly a beginner should not be starting with a 1/32 scale Helldiver kit.

i also enjoy the articles on techniques and seeing the test shot builds of Airfix New Mold kits months before they hit the store shelves be it brick and mortar or web based.

I like the magazine and will continue to buy it.

Tim

Out of the box builders - Basic
Modified / Convertied kits - Intermediate
Scratchbuilders - Advanced.

My hat goes off to you scratch builders, Patrick. Don't know how you guys do it 😎

Yeah, I think that's a good definition of us modellers. You'd think the articles would define the subject, not the modeller though 🤔

Who knows. Have a good weekend.

Out of the box defined as basic skill level seems too restrictive. I would define someone who can throw together an Airfix Spitfire starter kit as basic skill level. If you can successfully build one of the 1970s 1/24 aircraft Airfix produced with all the sanding and filling etc required then you are way over basic skill level.

Yes Adrian. That's what I touched on initially - scale doesn't define the challenge. There's a difference between an OOB 1/24 Spitfire and one in 1/72 👍

I took out a two year subscription when AMW was launched, and though i had reservations, renewed for a further two years before I cancelled. For me, the reviews were nothing more than the reviewer showing off their intricate knowledge of the aircraft in question, glazing over any problems that might occur, and presenting spotless models as though a child of four could throw them together. Too often the subject was not one I had any remote interest in. I was getting less and less from each issue, and could get better, and more relevant reviews and information about specific kits elsewhere, and for free.

I'm an AMW contributor (my last build was the new 1/24 IXc Spitfire). I'll put your question to the boss Stu Fone and let you know here what he says.

That would be interesting Steve, thank you.

It often makes me think how a beginner opening the magazine for the first time and seeing a 1/32 Helldiver with aftermarket (or similar) branded as basic would react to that.

A lot of people (most maybe? Certainly in this country) come to the hobby via Airfix. Those of us in the hobby know AMW is unrelated to the hobby brand, but others don't. The kit manufacturer does a great job catering for newcomers. But these same budding modellers lifting the magazine, thinking there might be something in it for them (as they've just got a great kit from the company with their name on the front of the magazine), find quite a daunting list of builds, some of which they're being told are basic 😁

Airfix do a good job of being all things to all modellers. I don't think AMW do though. I still think it's a great magazine. And I'll continue to subscribe. I think it's good value and I always take something from each issue. I just wish that their basic builds could be.........a little more basic.

Have a good weekend.

There are variations in the abilities and processes (ie brush vs airbrush) of the model builders. In the basic build category, some brush painted models have been a little rough in my view while others have been near museum quality…but that is a result of variations in abilities, processes and maybe time spent achieving the results….but they were pretty much out of the box builds.

Nice post Tim.

In my last post I mentioned AMW not quite being all thing to all modellers.

This is a good example. I don't think there's a good balance between builds brush painted and those airbrushed.

Going back to my person taking home their first Airfix kit, via a newsagent to pick up the magazine because they're keen and throwing themselves into the hobby - probably every build in that issue will be airbrushed. All of a sudden our newcomer is thinking do I need an extractor booth, compressor and H&S airbrush.

That's not just valid for newcomers. Lots of seasoned modellers love brush painting too.

Just an observation you reminded me of.

Have a good weekend Tim.

I took out a two year subscription when AMW was launched, and though i had reservations, renewed for a further two years before I cancelled. For me, the reviews were nothing more than the reviewer showing off their intricate knowledge of the aircraft in question, glazing over any problems that might occur, and presenting spotless models as though a child of four could throw them together. Too often the subject was not one I had any remote interest in. I was getting less and less from each issue, and could get better, and more relevant reviews and information about specific kits elsewhere, and for free.

Hi Ratch.

This is something I've noticed online too. Whether forums or YouTube.

You rarely see anyone giving a sub par review on a review from the box. Everything is 'despite that little flaw it should build into a nice model'.

Nobody calls a spade a spade and says if I was buying this type I'd swerve this one and go for one from a different manufacturer.

I've came to the conclusion you're just best picking up something you fancy and doing the best job you can 😁 for the reasons you mention!

Have a good weekend mate.

Hi Gavin.

Thanks for that.

It's an interesting query and one that really needs quite a lot more explicit clarity in order to define 'basic' in a way that's more quantifiable.

It would help if you (and others) bullet point the precise characteristics of 'basic' please - 'out of the box' has been mentioned but that can mean a huge difference in complexity when you contrast the current 1/32 Revell P-51D with a 1/32 Wingnut Wings Stahltaube for instance (I've done both for the mag).

I'm interested to know if 'basic' here is in any way and to any degree being directed at the quality of finishing? Do you think that's a factor?

Either way, it's necessary to get more meat on the bone as I'm sincerely interested to know.

My m/o, whatever I get to build in AMW, is always to point in the direction of Occam's Razor - that the simplest solution is invariably the best. In my mind, I want everyone who reads a piece I've contributed to think 'I can do that'. I'm what would be called in footballing parlance a 'mid-table obscurity' modeller; neither the best out there or the worst but occupying a middle space.

In tandem with that, it's apposite to highlight that when good to excellent modelling goes on show you'll find one of two responses to it. The first goes hand in hand with the cliche 'well, that's it - I might as well take up knitting'. Sometimes that's a joke, other times not. The second reaction (which is always mine) is the opposite when I see modelling that leaves me in the dust - it's aspirational and inspirational and shows me what's possible with the right techniques and approaches. It gives me something to aim at and try and evolve into. Whether I succeed or not doesn't actually matter - I just enjoy trying. Viewpoint is important in anything.

Take it easy.

TTFN

Steve

Hi Steve.

I think a start and end point in Basic and Advanced are reasonably straightforward. At the moment I think AMW do a good enough job with content that's Advanced, or could even be moved from Basic or Intermediate to Advanced.

In my opinion Basic should be Series 1/2/3/4 (for example, I've not given it much thought), out of the box, brush painted or airbrushed with simple techniques. When I say OOB I mean no purchased aftermarket - so this could mean refining detail in some way or adding DIY refinement like stretched sprue etc. What I have in mind is something like the content from the Airfix Magazine Guide books of the 1970's. Seeing as I've mentioned those I can't recommend them highly enough to beginners - a lot of the methods and information are dated now, but a beginner will still get tonnes more from them now than they will opening an issue of AMW. (side question - is that the kind of thing I could expect to read from the Airfix Club magazine if I joined that?).

I understand that kind of build wont be of much interest to a seasoned modeller, but at the same time many of the existing content isn't of much interest to a lot of modellers either - Ratch has mentioned this and I can't disagree with him. There are other magazines which have their place for more advanced content, but I think AMW should be including more of the content I've described. Rightly or wrongly Airfix is regarded as a gateway to the hobby and a magazine with that branding on it's cover should reflect this more than it currently does.

So between what I've suggested and the already Advanced builds you would have everything else and all the ambiguity between the lines around Intermediate. But then I think there would be truly something for everybody. Advanced is already aspirational for most people, but what I call Basic would still be an achievable aspiration for beginners - therefore giving them something to aim for without disheartening anybody.

As you say, somebody reading an article has to think they can achieve that too, but I think that needs some context and an acknowledgement that people are at different stages in their hobby, or maybe even regressing due to health or eyesight reasons. So achievability has to be kept relevant for different aptitudes.

Just some thoughts, in response to you querying some firm bullet points.

Gavin.

I think complexity of the model and the ability of the modeller are interlinked when grading ability as basic intermediate etc.

When I was a kid I made small Airfix aircraft kits which had blobs of glue everywhere and a very rough paint job. Often ended in the bin out of frustration.

By the time I got into my late teens I was building Tamiya kits with half decent paint jobs and nothing was going in the bin.

So boyhood my skill level was basic, my teens I'd

become average and today I'd say good but not exceptionable.

Obviously technology has made gluing a far less messy process than the large bore polystyrene cement of the seventies which when squeezed never stopped coming out but on the flip side today's paints are harder to get a good brush finish with than the old lead enamels.

There's also a question of what is the more complex kit. For example the two Airfix 1/72 Defiant kits. The newer one has more complexity with cockpit detail etc and more parts but I'd say the original takes more skill to build because of the awful fit issues.

I think we all started there Adrian........I know I did! I think a good finish has to be shown so that people want to replicate that. Not shading, weathering etc. - just a well presented model in terms of base coats so that it looks like what's presented on the box or rolling out a factory.

This would be 'Basic'. Any other skills can be gained going forward and then the ambiguity starts as the modeller starts to transition to intermediate.

You make a good point about the difference between mouldings of the same subject in the same scale by the same manufacturer re fitting. I guess this has to be kept in mind by the contributor and assessed honestly to where his build is going to fit on the spectrum.

Here's a suggestion:

Perhaps AMW should have two reviews of each kit.

One OOB, brush painted, no extras.

The other, with all the aftermarket you can throw at it, errors corrected, airbrushed.

In that way, the modeller (regardless of ability) will have a real insight into the subject generally, and the kit in particular.