DCC ID not writing to train

Okay so firstly not sure if this should be in DCC or Railmaster so here goes...

I have a Western Master Digital with Railmaster, I have expanded the track so bought an R3663TTS Tornado with DCC fitted.

It worked to start on the same controller as the Western train (presumably both set to DCC ID 3), but then I tried to change the ID and that's when it all went wrong!

When reading the CVs the primary address (which I think is the DCC ID) is 003 and wont let me change it, I have changed the wires on the e-link to prog, but do I need to do anything else?

I don't really want to change the ID on the Western train from 003 unless I have to in case that ends up not working either!!

It's like it is reading from the chip but not writing to it?

forum_image_63dab102bb665.thumb.png.17d058338b290d65739258cd84830574.png

Any help would be great!! :)

Put your loco on a programming track i.e. a separate piece of track connected to the Prog terminals.

Then put your cursor in CV1 value box and backspace the existing numbers out and type in your chosen address .e.g. 5.

Now click the pencil icon to write that new value. The numbers should go green.

Put the loco on the main track and see if it answers to the new address or is stuck on the old address.

If it answers to neither check in the loco setip screen that the new address is showing.

once happy, repeat with the next loco.

Or better still, use the steam loco icon to write the new address and not the CV1 writing screen. You can just see the steam loco icon in your screen grab to the left of CV16 that is displayed grey in the pop-up window. This steam loco icon is there to specifically write DCC loco decoder DCC Addresses.

Your post text suggests that you just moved your main layout wires over onto the controller PROG output. You must never do that else you will overwrite the CVs you are editing of every DCC loco and potentially DCC accessory on the track. Plus if you have ANY devices connected to the track that normally draw power, they will absorb the very low power output of the PROG output and prevent successfully writing to a CV.

You must have a dedicated and isolated piece of track called a 'programming track' that is connected to the PROG output, then ONLY the loco decoder you want to change the CV of will be seen by the PROG output. This track piece and the wheels of the loco must be spotlessly clean and shiny as any grime will interfere with the low power programming signals.

And Yes, this is the correct forum [Railmaster] for this question.

EDIT:

P.S. As well as changing the DCC Address in the decoder i.e using the steam loco icon. You also have to edit the DCC ID in the 'Locomotive Settings' screen to the same DCC Address you have assigned to the decoder. This DCC Address will then appear in the throttle panel for that loco in the main right hand vertical column loco roster list.

03 is the default ID/address for new or reset decoders. It is good practice to not run any of your locos on this address so as to keep it free for first testing of a new decoder or loco.

So you should follow the instructions above for both your locos. Once you have the dedicated programming track, you shouldn’t have any bother changing both IDs.