old issue and new issue kit

paul71

Im no expert in building kits but i thought some one might find it useful to see the difference as the older kits are still around to buy and some are re issued as the vintage range of kits

A big difference is that the older kits are easier to build as they have less parts and not so many of the parts are small and hard to put on, the new kits have a lot of parts some been small and not so easy to put on but giving the new kits far greater detail.

The decals on the older kits were sort of basic but ok with the newer kit decals going to far greater detail giving you the option of how far you wish to go

forum_image_63f376be7a86c.thumb.png.918805149a0dda62ffcdb5471ebb7ec7.png

the kit on the left is the 1974 tool and on the right the new 2012 tool.

I hand paint so there not the best you will see but you will see a difference between them as i slowly get better and more experienced at doing them, the aerial on the aircraft on the right is smaller that it should be do to it not been formed properly but it was good enough for me to use instead of making a new one

forum_image_63f376c17ab55.thumb.png.855f5bb8c86ae17e7d85ed42b21f1d96.pngforum_image_63f376c6bdd9e.thumb.png.fce295d5d5850f93845e1333fda2bbf8.png

I was always happy with the basic outline of the old tool P-51. It's down to personal choice which to build, the more basic old one or the nicely detailed new tool.

The last few I've built were the 1/48 ones and found them very good.

• 4 months later...

being honest to myself, i get more from doing old(er) kits/models as they have less 'little bits', basic decals/transfers matching basic painting schemes, often need some research to overcome loose fit eg dihedral angles etc and much filling and sanding too!

'fixing up' an older model in my own time to my own satisfaction is an enjoyable pastime, and this includes (a) settling on my next build - currently, the 1970s Revell Ju 88 c-6 'Nachtjager' is nearly done (b) finding out about the aircraft and/or model © picking the final finish and colours/techniques I may use and (d) getting on with it!

i enjoy the whole process and the finished item goes to the charity shop where a sale is guaranteed!

don't get me wrong, i appreciate the 'new' kits available and enjoy building them to but the standards i aspire to achieve and techniques i employ are generally quite different.

i don't treat my hobby like a job!