Railmaster Support

Is the support department for railmaster still going? Or are they just very slow in responding. Have asked for an activation code reset on Friday 17th. Got automated reply more or less straight away then nothing. Must admit I find it frustrating that my HDD failed have reloaded railmaster on same pc and now I can't use what I have found to be basically a good piece of software which I have never had any real problems with. If they are going to have this level of security on the use of their software they should really reset it in a timely fashion.

The direct email address is widely published on this forum so go direct, telling them you have raised an internal request and wonder how much longer . . . Etc. etc.

In the past folk have queried poor or no response and on the many times when I have tackled HRMS about it I have had a prompt reply from them saying either they were working it, were waiting further info or often hadn’t seen it.

Check your junk folder in case WIN-DOZE has filed their response to you in the bin.

Two years ago I had a motherboard failure requiring a new RM PC. On the replacement PC and a clean install of RM. I requested a reset using the form generated in RM that specifically caters for reset requests. I DID NOT use the generic help request form in the RM help system.

In my case my key was reset within 30 minutes (could have been less as it was a long time ago and time comment based upon memory). Based upon my experience I got the impression that the reset process was automated and didn't have human intervention.

In my case I had previously saved a backup copy of the 'activate.dat' file which contains the original activation data. I copied this file into the new installation RM program folder. Then when I opened the reset request form it was pre-populated with 100% accurate matching data that the reset system could compare to the original activation. Wether following this process resulted in my near immediate reset experience I couldn't say, but for me, my reset request was quick and painless.

So did you use the RM generated reset form, or did you just send a general message making the request.

Your HDD may have failed, as far as running the Windows OS, but data may still be readable if you put the HDD in a USB caddy. If you can recover the 'activate.dat' file, then this really does assist reset requests.

For other RM users reading this post I strongly advise that this file is backed up somewhere safe for the future, should you too experience a PC failure. Note that this file is probably not backed up if using the RM Pro backup function.

Sorry I can not give guidance on where to access the specific reset form as it was two years ago and I haven't needed to access it since. To the best of my recollection I think I accessed it via the 'License Key' entry page. Again, just as per my vague recollection. I think I might have entered my original license key and initiated the sending of it and this triggered a link to the specific reset form to appear as part of getting the 'this key is already activated' error message.

Thank you. I tried to use the proper form but it kept coming up 'you must enter a valid email address' both email address entries were the email address I would have originally used to register the software. It seemed to be erroring on the current email address field.

.......... both email address entries were the email address I would have originally used to register the software. It seemed to be erroring on the current email address field.

I think that is your issue. The current email address probably has to be the same address as that used for the original activation. If they don't match then HRMS will assume that someone else other than the original user is trying to activate the software in breach of the T&Cs. HRMS implement bullet proof policing of the RM license.

Doesn't help users who might be chasing Broadband prices and keep changing ISPs which usually involves a change of email address if not using something like gmail which can be independant of ISP used.

If you can recover the 'activate.dat' file from your backup or HDD and copy it over. That at least will ensure that the rest of the form data will be 100% accurate.

I read (misread) your previous reply as the original & current email addresses being different.

If you are saying that the original email address form field is the same as the current email address form field. Then that does indeed look like a form bug.

I have seen previous posts where RM users have reported seeing the same email error messsge on the form, but what I can't remember was what the 'user' outcome was in those cases. Probably didn't come back with 'what happened' feedback.

Keep us updated with what progresses.

Finally heard from support late yesterday. They were upgrading their email server which took longer than anticipated. There was a bug in the submission form which is fixed in v1.74 release 5 available at www.railmaster.com/rm_setup.exe so if you ever have an issue make sure you have the most up to date version of the software installed. I had 1.74 but not the latest release. Looking at handheld for android now but that's another subject!

• 3 weeks later...

Late reply Terry but the upgrading of a PC or laptop makes no difference to the license.

One has to deactivate the software first, upgrade the PC and then reactivate in that order.

If you did that then some of your registration details may not match your original set when purchased. Make sure your email address used to contact them is the same as the original or mention the change of address in your email. They are normally extremely helpful as long as you provide relevant and correct details.