DC CONTROLLERS

Mark-345314

Hi . I am reliving my childhood . So currently I have a R265 controller and a transformer . Great for when I was a kid . But I’m looking for good slow speed control and things have moved on . Can anyone point me in the right direction . I have been told a R8250 but also a Gaugemaster Combi or a H&D unit . Treat me as a kid and give it to me straight .

Sorry that should be I have a very old R965 unit . 

any opinions on the R8250 and R7229 controllers if I stay with Hornby

Mark,

If you click the three vertical dots in the top right corner. You will see an edit option. You could (should) use that to correct the R265 to R965 and also add your other comment that you have duplicated in two further duplicate threads (edit: one of which now removed). Which incidently could have been added as an additional post to this thread to keep them visibly all together, rather than in different threads that will be become split up over time.

Once your post above is edited you could (should) also use the same menu (delete option) in the duplicates to remove them. (edit: now that a mod has locked it, you may not be able to delete it)

In answer to your supplementary question raised in the duplicates. The R8250 and the R7229 are both relatively cheap Hornby controllers designed for train sets (mainly for children to get them started when opening a set as a present). They are very low power and have a tendancy to overheat and cut out until they have cooled down. They are not, in my opinion, something I would consider as being a serious layout controller and don't really suit larger more power hungry locomotives or locos of older design.

Again, in my opinion, the R965 although now very old is actually a better controller than the R8250 & R7229 replacements.

Regarding H&D, did you mean H&M?

Welcome and as you said to treat you as a complete new starter - please read the sticky posts in the general section talking to advice for new registrants and getting started with track-mats and extension packs. There is also lots of good information in FAQ 1.

I have deleted your duplicate posts and copied the additional text into your OP.