Stanwell Park, a small TT:120 layout

Markus1707823000

Until now I've been running "the Scotsman" on my old layout, but of late I've been thinking more and more about building something proper for it (Hornby era 3; "Jeeves and Wooster-time"). So finally I've built a simple baseboard, enough for a small roundy-roundy and a couple of points. The board is foldable, so the part behind the backscene folds in underneath, making it possible to slide the whole thing in behind my bigger layout. I'm very pleased with the design (although my woodworking skills could do with some improvement).

forum_image_63fe5c79e9ac2.thumb.png.d9ba0d6cca6c8045de94abf7079a7850.png

forum_image_63fe5c7d0630f.thumb.png.7a7e8e73d8bd3dd46ad7ee0699a8993c.png

I haven't decided for a name yet. My continental layout is centered around the fictional town of Nörding (named after the Danish pipe-maker Erik Nørding), and I've been trying to come up with a similarly themed name for the new one. Ideas I've been playing around with are, for example, Dunn Hill Junction, Stanwell Park (after Stanwell pipes, although Danish they are still quite nice), and Blumfeld Hill (after Blumfeld Best Briar or BBB, a favourite brand).

Blink Bonny, uneven woodwork, and a BBB pipe:

forum_image_63fe5c7f96461.thumb.png.d7d8f2a66c8bd94723f34492d191254e.png

• 1 month later...

I've haven't really done much work lately on my British layout. But I've started building a signal box at least, and I've ballasted some track and planted some grass. The background is a test. My idea is it should be a spring day, with green grass and hedges, but with most of the trees still bare (it's a lovely contrast to my continental layout and it's annoyingly sunny summer weather).

forum_image_6431981c1e33f.thumb.png.21ad4a7a2c8bc5e2496a3441436b940e.png

I'm still waiting for a bunch of tank wagons to arrive. I've got no idea what engine to use for them, but I've got an old and broken BTTB steam engine somewhere, and that might be possible to convert to something.

Sprinklers is not a bad idea :-D Last time I was in the UK we had sun every day (apart from a short moment when passing Liverpool on the way towards northern Wales). With the weather we've had around here lately, I'm rather thinking about changing the scenery on my continental layout to gray-brown rainy winter just for some increased realism.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the comments! I hope to finish the backscene soon and start building some houses. Still haven't decided for what digital system to use. Right now the layout is analogue, but I prefer digital operation, especially because the trains move smoother at lower speed with digital control. I'm tempted to try Hornby's bluetooth system out, but the decoders aren't sold here, so we'll see. My continental layout uses Uhlenbrock Daisy, but it's rather costly if you don't happen to come across cheap parts on ebay.

Markus, there are some excellent deals on the HM DCC decoders (Next18 to suit TT:120 but not 08) Hattons were offering them at £50, They ship worldwide. I am a big fan of the HM DCC system, I use a traditional DCC Dynamis Ultra to run all layout but the sound profiles and ease of programming on the App is excellent. Well worth trying if you like DCC which you obvious do 👍

• 2 months later...

Some progress on the layout. The tall building will not stay, it belongs to another layout. I will start building houses now (I mostly use card from food packaging). Nothing's quite finished yet, I'm a slow builder, and I always have at least three or four different projects running at the same time :-) The exit in the far corner will be partially covered by trees.

Sorry for the low quality photos, I took them with my phone, which is rather bad.

forum_image_65a03bcd4ec6e.thumb.png.6e7677782cb8df62280fdc8e74533755.png

Markus,
if you're hailing from Germany there are quite a few sources that sell HM 7000's

I live in the Czech Republic. There are a few shops here carrying Hornby stuff, so I might try with them. Right now though I'm rather looking for a used Uhlenbrock Daisy command station on ebay, since I use that one on my continental layout.

Looking great Markus! I really like the high level station building and the steps down to it. It’s a feature that captures a certain era in railways for me. I originally had a similar idea for High Fell but its wasn’t entirely working and then an extension changes that idea anyway 😁

• 3 months later...