DC & Sound

Paul -346038

Using the forthcoming HM7K system yes you can as it can be operated in bluetooth mode using a DC power supply.

You may wish to delete your other three duplicate posts which I have locked to prevent replies being posted to them.

Some DCC sound decoders support sound on DC operation, but not Hornby TTS decoders. In principle, the DCC decoders that do support sound on DC will only play the basic engine running sound, but will not normally play the spot sounds such as whistles and horns. I have two Hornby XS sound locos fitted with 21 pin Loksound decoders that will only play engine running sound on DC. Just for the sake of clarity, my layout is DCC and I don't use the DC operation option. Using DC compatible DCC sound decoders on DC makes it a very expensive way of getting just basic engine running sounds without the bells and whistles.

Train-tech sell (or at least did sell, not checked recently) a sound module specifically designed to work with DC locos. It is battery operated with motion detection. Two versions are available, one plays generic steam sounds and the other diesel. They play horns and whistles on a timed random basis. The cost of these are a fraction of a DC compatible sound DCC decoder.

To answer your question to clarify what 96RAF wrote.

Hornby are in the process of launching a brand new system called HM7000. It is basically a DCC system but can run on a DC powered track. The DCC decoders have sound versions. These new HM7000 series sound decoders get their power from the DC powered track (note that you do not control a HM7000 fitted loco with your current DC controller, you are only using the controller to provide DC track power. Not all DC controllers are suitable, but any DC power supply that is within the stated specification can be used to power the track). These new HM7000 decoders are controlled wirelessly using Bluetooth. The Bluetooth control is provided via an APP (Free) that runs on either a smart phone or tablet (Apple IOS or Android). The APP downloads the sound files (Free) over the Internet and loads them into the HM7000 series decoder via Bluetooth. Before getting too excited, you would be wise to confirm the compatibility of the APP with your IOS or Android device before making a financial commitment. The new HM7000 series decoders and the Free APP have not yet been released to market. Read through the HM | DCC forum threads for further HM7000 information.

Given the new HM7000 system “going DCC” or not is now getting a little blurry.

If I were to change the question slightly and instead ask:

”In order to get “proper” sound in my locos, do I have to buy an expensive DCC controller and put expensive decoders in all my locos?”, then the answer is a little different:

• if you go HM7000, you don’t need to buy a DCC controller, the controller comes free as an App on your phone/tablet
  • you still need decoders in all locos (you can’t run a DC loco on a DCC layout)
  • you have a range of options for sound: you can buy standard full function DCC sound decoders @ £100 plus (and you need a DCC controller); you can buy Hornby TTS decoders much cheaper (but you still need a DCC controller); or you can buy HM7000 TXS decoders for £65 plus and you don’t need a DCC controller

With HM7000, you still need to power the track and you might do this with Hornby’s HM6000 DC controller but you can’t at the same time run DC locos and HM7000 on the same track (some forms of hybrid operation may be possible, but another discussion).