The mighty Hood

Richard-346673

I had a gap between the aft superstructure and the shelter deck. I've heard others have had this problem. You can either fill the gap with putty or with a gasket of half mill plastic sheet as I did, which is the big white triangle at left in the picture below. Otherwise it went together OK, can't remember how hard it was to get the control top glued level but it turned out OK.forum_image_64115f4b2f1f3.thumb.png.fbe5e435f44b00f146caa5b2a7acb098.png

• 10 months later...

Gidday Richard, sorry for the late reply, I've only just joined here, and I know that your initial post is over 10 months old now. Have you started the model yet, or going to? And do you still have any questions?

I have done this model twice now. The first time was well over six years ago (maybe even much longer) and was built OOB. It depicts the ship at about 1932 as far as I can make out. The second time I built her was to convert her to her May 1941 guise and I finished this about July 2021. I can't remember the initial state of the first kit, the second had a very small blemish on the hull plus rather horrible turret faces that I was able to rectify. I don't recall any other major issues with the kit but I can check my build log if needs be.

One issue I do have with many Airfix ship kits is the screws. Most ships have 'handed' screws - both left-turning and right-turning screws but most of the ship kits that I've done don't have this. The Repulse and KGV kits are exceptions to this but not Hood, so I had a go at making my own screws. But there's no need to do this if the screws doesn't bother you or you water-line the kit.

I don't add PE or AM stuff to my models so I can't advise you there. If I need other stuff I raid other kits or try to make my own, with varying degrees of mediocre success. But I like the 1/600 scale and I'm very interested in what you do or have done with this kit. I think HMS Hood was a ship that will never lose her place in history.

Regards, Jeff.

The model at the rear is my original build OOB while that in the foreground is my modification to her configuration as at May 1941.

That's an interesting photo of two well made models. I've made this kit before but never really appreciated the difference between out of the box and final appearance in 1941. As they say, a picture's worth a thousand words.

Gidday, then let me add another two thousand words. Here are some close-ups of the midships sections of the models. And close-ups I often find show a model warts-and-all.

Firstly the original model OOB as I think she was in c1932.

forum_image_65b78cff3fed8.thumb.png.154642bd759a5d68a282ac1a0c38e271.png

HMS Hood 1932 jm5. I made an error with the label, it's 1932, not 1920.

And my subsequent model that I modified to her May 1941 appearance. Most of the info for this conversion came from the 'Anatomy of the Ship - the Battlecruiser HMS Hood'.

forum_image_65b78d0ed0117.thumb.png.bad63160c162674e68ab0d54e3b2e016.png

HMS Hood 1941 jm1 (13). I did a lot of scratchbuilding of parts for this - screws shafts and struts, HACS, octuple pompoms, gun tubs, deck fittings etc. The 4-inch guns are from the Ajax kit and were modified a bit.

Regards, Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

This takes me back to my childhood when my dad built me this model in honour of his Uncle Bill (Royal Navy 1928-1953) who served aboard this ship prior to 1941 before being promoted and posted to another vessel.

Very impressive modelling of both. I too hadn't realised the differences between the 1932 & 1941 modifications.