Set-specific tracks are too big to store easily

John-347493

I just go the LeMans C1404T set and am enjoying it so far. I'm sure it'll be even better when I add some more track to it. Can't really get the cars going to fast as is.

Speaking of track I realize that the set comes with extra long straights (C8505) and 90 degree R2 (C8529). Near as I can tell you can't buy these outside of a set. I was about to toss the box the set came in and store it in a plastic bin only to find the straights don't fit ;-(. I have to search for a new, larger bin I guess. I wonder why they did this. Is it to save on costs? Make it easier for beginners to assemble layouts? I suppose they are handy and good for bridges, but otherwise harder to store.

Well there are a great number of boxes of varying sizes (IKEA does not have a monopoly).

For example at my local hardware store there are wood boxes that are the perfect length for the "super long straights" and I can store the 90° R2s at an angle.

I then put shorter 87 mm and 78 mm straights under these.

The super long straight is the same as a standard plus the "flyover straight" which is slightly less than half of a standard straight.

The whole system is calculated that it is theoretically impossible to make a layout that does not match up. This assumes of course that you have every single piece of track available to you...

As to why they did this: The 90 ° R2 is the same as the crossover curve and the old curved digital lane changer. My guess is changing this to regular 2-lane was not too difficult.

They appeared after Hornby stopped making the hard plastic "Start" system with the different connectors. That set had 90° curves that were somewhere between an R2 and an R3.

I am thinking they got positive feedback that the fewer number of pieces meant it was faster to set up the track and there was better connectivity.

That defunct "Start" system also had longer straights. I don`t know the exact length.

Again here, fewer pieces are good for set up speed and conductivity.

Personally I really like them and use them a lot. I have a very limited space so I often have a two or even three tier setup and having fewer joins makes it a smoother experience.

Getting them is fairly easy. A lot of auction sites have people selling them and of course boot sales or swap meets...

Just getting a response means a lot to me.

I am not a Hornby employee and I do this out of the kindness of my heart. (do you hear the violins playing?)

Without a joke I get a response from maybe one out of a thousand.

I don`t mind if people don`t agree, I would actually prefer it to no response!

Good luck and thank you again!