Could the HM7070 fix points issues?

DarkRedCape

99% of my locos pass over my points with no issues. My little 0-6-0 Peckett's, and even the 0-4-0 Peckett pass over them with no stutters. I have two Large Prairie loco's that absolutely hate points and stop almost every single time they pass over one. I've googled the issue to no end and found no real solution.

The HM7070 Power Bank, or Stay Alive pack could potentially fix this issue by keeping the decoder alive long enough for the loco to clear the point, but I looked at the dimensions of the pack, and it's extremely small, and surely not powerful enough to propel a loco?

Maybe I have misunderstood quite what the battery pack is designed to do, but does this seem like a viable way of getting troublesome loco's to behave when passing over points?

DRC, it is reputed to keep a modern loco operating without track power for some 7+ seconds so no problem with traversing points using it. Don’t be fooled by its size as it is the 3 x 1Farad super capacitors that pack the punch.

Make sure you have buffer stops at the end of your sidings lest you have your Terrier trains disappearing off into the countryside.

Be cautious DRC if your intention is to use these with non Hornby HM7000 series decoders. These 'stay alives' as that is what these power banks actually are. Use 'Super Capacitors' with three wire connectors & use special charging circuitry built into the HM7000 series decoders.

If your problematic locos have standard DCC decoders, then you would be better to fit traditional 'Stay Alives', for which two wire 'Super Capacitor' versions also exist in the third party after market supplier network.

EDIT: Text ammended to better reflect 96RAFs statement in post further below.

I have a few of the non sound 8-pin HM7000 decoders on the way. My intention was to swap out the currently fitted standard R8249 8-pin decoders and use the HM7000 decoders.

I assumed the power banks would work with the non sound HM7000 decoder as it states on the Hornby website:

An R7377 Power Bank can be purchased separately and added to this decoder. We recommend for ease you do this during the first install. The Power Bank will keep the loco operating during short power outages when running over dirty track or complex points - keeping the sounds operating and the loco moving. 

I'm trying to just dip my toe into the HM7000 range to see how I like it before I commit and outfit my collection with them.

Be cautious DRC if your intention is to use these with non Hornby TXS decoders. These 'stay alives' as that is what these power banks actually are. Use 'Super Capacitors' and are three wire connected to use special charging circuitry built into the TXS decoders.
If your problematic locos have standard DCC decoders, then you would be better to fit traditional 'Stay Alives', for which two wire 'Super Capacitor' versions also exist in the third party after market supplier network.

Although essentially correct the Hornby 2-wire power bank uses a 3-pin plug/socket to prevent folk connecting it to the 2-pin speaker connection and vice-versa. The charging circuit and discharge circuit components are part decoder and part power bank. The unit only charges when the loco is in motion.

They will work fine with any 7000 series decoder sound or non-sound. Just don’t connect them to other decoders.