Humbrol paint 106

Hi I have purchased the model Spitfire 1.24 scale. On the hole I am very pleased with the kit and detail. But I am very disappointed with the fact that in the colour scams that 4 out of the 5 options require colour 106 matt ocean grey. I have had trouble obtaining this colour. So I contacted Airfix via email to be told that this shade had been discontinued. With no alternative to use. I think this is very bad with a new kit. What does anybody else think ???

Try this conversion chart, it's downloadable in pdf format: https://d63oxfkn1m8sf.cloudfront.net/7616/6980/5182/Humbrol_-_Shade_Chart_28-11-22_Online_Version_Web.pdf

Apologies, you'll have to copy and paste, for some reason my text editor doesn't have a link function.

Quite remarkable that Airfix release a marquee product, specify a particular paint, but can't supply it. Risible in fact.

On consideration of past and present way Humbrol is changing their products I would appreciate any advice on alternatives to using Humbrol enamel paints. Not acrylic I have tried and failed with that medium. I hand paint so no makes that require airbrush techniques. I do not have the working space/ not working outside the house to spray. I also have no patience or money to buy aftermarket masks. It probably gives better finishing of models but hand painting allows me time to escape in my mind and relax that I couldn’t by air brushing. Making/ painting models is my way of relaxing and escaping from reality.
I am aware of xtrapaint colours and looks like some new strategies needed for me to learn but doable.
Pity as I have used Humbrol paints virtually all my modelling life.
So any manufacturers that can be bought from Hannants mainly that can be hand painted and have names of colours an old idiot can use.
Rod

like I said, I have just started using AK interactive paint, so far I really like them, not water based acrylics.

Randall

Not available through Hannants, but if you search for Sovereign Hobbies and ColourCoats you’ll find a great range of enamels for modellers. I recommend a look at their range, which is suitable for airbrushing and brushing.

I’m a just a satisfied customer of theirs, mourning the slow death of Humbrol.