E-Link no power from track terminals.

Last night E-Link was working fine, updating CVs and controlling trains; today - nothing.

Connecting to Railmaster OK, controller icon illuminated; usually if there is a comms issue the programs gives a message when booting up. PC responds with a warning beep when USB unplugged.

Unable to read CVs, no response to train control.

No power to track, no power measured directly on track power terminals on E-link with track wires disconnected. Power cycle/reboot to PC and E-link makes no difference..

On the main setup screen is the eLink showing pink or white in the table.

Possibly Windows has switched your comm port, does the setup screen port match that in Dev Mgr.

This is unlikely as you say it appears to be talking to RM.

A meter across the track connection should shown around 15 volts AC. If not it is possible the unit output has actually failed despite the comms side working.

Connecting to Railmaster OK, controller icon illuminated.......
Unable to read CVs......
No power to track, no power measured directly on track power terminals on E-link with track wires disconnected.

Seems to me to be evidence for the eLink internal power having failed, but after the USB comms part of the eLink hardware.

Since the USB comms appears to be working, you could try re-loading the 1.07 firmware just in case it is an internal firmware issue rather than a hardware power failure.

How to manually install the firmware is described on page 144 / 145 of the RM manual. When you do this, Railmaster must not be running and the eLink driver needs to be displayed as loaded in Windows Device Manager before you run the firmware installer file documented on page 144.

Thank you for the replies gents, to add to the mystery, this morning E-link decided to work; must have been because the sun was out.

Worked ok to run a loco so popped the new class 37 on, switched to program terminals - would read not the CV.

Put a previously programmed loco on, read CV ok

Put new train back on, could read and edit CV1 and 29, but failed to read back and confirm. Tried another decoder (both were Bachmann 36-568A) same issue but initial reading is intermittent, sometimes it works.

The decoder that I successfully changed CV1 and 29 on would not run the train. I suspect the actual loco circuit board is faulty, runs fine on DC.

I have a choice of 2 issues:

1. Faulty loco and intermittent E-link.
  2. Faulty loco which temporarily screwed up the E-link so much that several reboots yesterday would not fix it.

Time to call the shop...

Hey 96RAF, I see you were a Halton guy - Rigger or Sooty?

I was Cosford trained - Air Radar back in 1979... Probably not allowed to call air electronic trades 'Fairies' these days for fear of being shut down...

Hi Dave

I was a Rigger, then cross trained to all trades for a 5 year Victor tanker crew chiefing holiday. Did all sorts though, recruiting, tech author, etc. Ended up as a civvy doing delegated design authority of MoD UK arrestor gear - RHAG and PAAG.

ELink. - as suggested try a manual reload of the v1.07 firmware, which might get it back on its feet, but I think the loco is duff and needs more digging with a meter - you should be used to that.

Those Bachman decoders can give trouble with Hornby kit. In RM pick them out of the pull down list in CV7 to force load them. Often you can write to these things but not read back.