Turning on F28 AFC for HM7000 decoders

To achieve this RM sends each spot function command twice to reset it for next play (hence the reason for on/off in the RM function designation).

I think one of the most annoying things about RM is that when you use a spot sound function it greys the button caption out for about 3 seconds, and any other function or speed control during that period is ignored - indeed it seems to restart the 3 second timer if you do try. Before I sussed this out I used to sound the brake squeal prior to stopping in a siding, and kept frantically trying to stop the loco without waiting long enough, until it hit the buffers!

I assume that it does this in order to reset the Elite (even if you're using eLink) and they chose to block other interactions rather than queueing them up.

Regards, John

I think one of the most annoying things about RM is that when you use a spot sound function it greys the button caption out for about 3 seconds, and any other function or speed control during that period is ignored .....

I agree, FYI, this is what the RM manual says on this:

"Note: certain sounds will cause the Hornby Elite not to process commands immediately following. For example, the “Blowout” function on a steam locomotive can take five seconds before releasing the Elite for additional commands."

I think one of the most annoying things about RM is that when you use a spot sound function it greys the button caption out for about 3 seconds, and any other function or speed control during that period is ignored - indeed it seems to restart the 3 second timer if you do try. Before I sussed this out I used to sound the break squeal prior to stopping in a siding, and kept frantically trying to stop the loco without waiting long enough, until it hit the buffers!
I assume that it does this in order to reset the Elite (even if you're using eLink) and they chose to block other interactions rather than queueing them up.

It doesn't reset the Elite, it is doing what is explained in the famous manual, it is allowing time for the selected function to play out. Until that happens nothing else is processed and if it is within that time-out bracket it will be ignored. That is why RM tells you to allow time in your programs for these events to elapse before scheduling the next event.

I don’t use RM any more but when I did, I added “on/off” to every spot sound on every loco, simply to get around this problem. I operated using programs so I had to change all my programs to repeat the function a few seconds later to “switch off” the function.

Ray

Hi Ray

I did for a time adopt the same solution, changing the brake squeal sound to be an on/off function to avoid the unfortunate buffer crashes, but since I operate manually rather than under program control it got a bit tedious to have to turn the function off again. When starting off from the station I've got into the habit of sounding the whistle or horn immediately after setting the throttle, rather than before.

Now that I've upgraded most of my locos to TXS I rely on the AFC starting and stopping sounds, so it has become less of an issue. Just need better TXS horn sounds for the Class 47 before upgrading that from TTS.

Regards, John

You will soon be able to select a function switch type as Elite in the app, so you can either toggle a function on off or by holding the function down it reverts to momentary, same as the Elite function buttons. For timed functions I leave the switch time blank and the sound plays out no matter how long it takes, but the next sound can interupt it.