Next 18 decoder compatibility issues

I have returned a NER auto coach because it had no traction. The wheels would go round but the coach would not move under dcc powered by RM and elink.

the supplier suggested that RM had comparability issues with Next 18 decoders.

Can there be any truth in this or is it the suppliers using this to defend their products.

And that has little/nothing to do with traction anyway.

I agree with Fishmans comment.

If the wheels are turning and assuming they are responding to RM speed changes, then RM is instructing the decoder correctly, else the motor wouldn't run and the wheels wouldn't turn. If the wheels are turning but the loco isn't moving, then it has to be a loco mechanical issue, or your track.

It always seems to me that retailers blame Hornby controllers as the easy option.

Easy to blame the controller and/or Hornby for everything and anything these days.

For the record, I also have an NER autocoach, fitted with the TXS Next18 decoder - a tight fit but works absolutely fine albeit with the default sound profile for the time being.

Two issues that may be causing the reported issue - Rails of Sheffield recommend putting a bit of tape across the decoder as it is a loose fit in the socket and can drop out or be dislodged. Secondly, it is a very tight fit around the bodywork which can also dislodge the decoder - it took three attempts for me to work that one out.

Mods, thanks for fixing the spelling in the title, that was annoying me.

Next, you can fix the plural of chassis in the TT:120 forum please, before Apostrophe Man visits Silver Fox and has harsh word’s with him.

PS. I liked my last sentence unedited, it was deliberate.

As a postscript to my last post and slightly off topic. I suggested that Rails of Sheffield had agreed to take the auto at back. Wrong.

Because I was outside the two week period they have offered to buy the item back at half its original cost.

Presumably because they tested it OK on DC and consider it not to be faulty, therefore the 30 day 'faulty' T&C does not apply and it is the 14 day 'change of mind' that they are applying, for which the OP is outside the 14 day grace period.

I'm not saying whether the policy is fair and just or not, I'm just giving an opinion on how Rail's are applying their policy.

Thanks for those supporting comments. SteveM6 you have given me some hope. I am minded to get the loco back and try a different decoder even a TXS. My experience with the 8 pin was not great.

I have ranted about this before but how many out there have bought a new loco read the glowing reports in the magazines only to find on your layout it’s an absolute dud. My Oxford Rail N7 is a case in point. Had a new motor fitted but the rear wheels keep jumping off the track. Oxford Rail tell me it runs perfectly.

Do we not have the right to have a product that runs well out of the box.

I assume it comes DCC Ready and you fitted the decoder?

Have you tried it on DC with the blanking plate fitted? I can’t imagine fitting a decoder is going to affect traction so would expect exactly the same behaviour DC as DCC.

If that’s the case, this is a fit for purpose warranty issue which overrides their refund policy.

I have instructed Rails to return the model. I will try two things. Firstly I will run her on a DC rolling road. Second I will try a different Next18 decoder and any suggestions would be useful. Then try both with my NCE controller.

I will let you know the scientific results.

When all else fails I will return it directly to Heljan with a full story and lack of Rails support.

I should apologise to the Hornby Forum at this point because this has developed into a non Hornby issue.

Allan, a couple of tips for fitting the decoder to this particular model.

Make sure the decoder is securely clipped into the socket - there should be a noticeable click as it fits. As I said earlier, a small amount of tape to hold it in place may be required.

Test the loco on DCC before refitting the body.

The raised central section of the roof is removable - three screws and a couple of body clips. Take it off so you can see where the decoder may foul the bodywork - I removed about 1mm of the inner roof structure for clearance. From memory that was to allow the power bank and speaker plugs to fit.

I also left off one of the upper roof screws to accommodate the TXS decoder.