newly back to slotcars

hi guys, last had track in 1990's & a lot has changed. ive got a scaleauto rs200 home series(hope this ok)& i want to get new scalextric rally track but as im into rally group B,& some more group B & A cars. i like lanci037 & sierra rs cosworth gemini jimmy mcrae. can anybody tell me what these cars are like & any upgrades to improve them? thanks in advance

Hi Steve,

Since you mentioned rally it might be important to point out that there is a Spanish Scalextric that is also known as SCX that has nothing to do with the UK-based Hornby Sclaextric (this forum's owner).

I mention this because SCX offers a lot of rally cars and even made rally style track that was tan/brown with bumps etc. As these were primarily sold in Spain the packaging will say "Scalextric" but it has nothing to do with Hornby (well... technically there is an old connection but nothing of importance for the last 30 years).

Having said that, SCX and Hornby track are compatible because SCX used the older "classic" track of Hornby (the one with the two spoons or loop connectors). The length, radii and slot width are all the same.

You can used the Scalectric (Hornby) C8222 adapter to combine either SCX or Hornby Classic track with the modern Sport track.

You may also come across Ninco "rally" or off-road track. Ninco also made a converter track that is called the "chicane" they allows it to connect to SCX/Hornby Classic.

So if you cab put up with getting track from the EU (Ninco is also Spanish) you can make some really interesting rally tracks!

Personally, I do not worry about upgrading cars unless a car seems to be severely underperforming in comparison to others. Since I use the ARC system I can adjust performance there as well: https://uk.scalextric.com/community/advice/app-race-control

Faster motors are usually counter productive on tracks that are less than 10 meters (33 feet) long. Messing with gearing is possible and can help but can be nearly impossible on some store-bought cars.

I would first give the car a thorough going over and tweak it according to these guidelines:

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Steve,

Scalextric are toy grade so if your looking for out and out performance I would avoid, but they have really upped their game on the detail so they look great. If your wanting one for a display cabinet then why not and they have got some nice releases.

If your wanting to have some tail out fun then maybe look at other brands as you will need to sink money Into a Scalextric to get it running without a magnet to a decent level.