One lane gradually loses power a quarter of the way round

I've an old scalextric analogue track which is quite large that I have reconditioned.

One track lane works perfectly, but the other noticeably has less power to begin with but then a quarter of the way around the track any car grinds to a halt.

I've hoovered the track to remove the possibility of a braid short circuiting it; I've applied double sided copper 4mm tape across the top of every track join but both to no avail.

The tracks run off separate power bases so I tried switching them over, but still the same one lane doesn't work.

I thought that I should try a multimeter, but don't have one so any suggestions as to a model to buy and how to use it to test the track would be greatly appreciated?

I was also thinking of soldering in some power boost cables but again is it sufficient to just do this from the track start to half way round, or do I need to connect many more track pieces together?

Thanks

Does this happen with all cars?

Have you swapped the power supplies and the hand controllers?

It could be some combination there...

A multimeter would make things easier, even a cheap one that can test continuity.

Otherwise start off with the smallest possible oval and see if the power is constant.

Gradually add pieces make the oval larger and larger etc until you start to encounter problems.

Track over 10 meter/30 feet usually need two power supplies and might need booster cables as well.

On really old track the metal rails might get squished causing them to pinch the guide blade making it look like a loss of power when there is actually a physical blockage.

Another common problem is the rails are "wavy" and the car lose contact with the rails...

Good luck!

Thanks for the response Andy.

Yes currently happens with all cars and the problem remains on the same lane even after switching controllers and power supplies.

Its a large track over 10m so think I definitely need to instal booster cables.

With regards to getting a multimeter from Amazon is it just continuity that i need to test for across the track pieces?

Thanks