Extending track with old SCX Digital

Mark-358724

I have a bunch of circa 2008 SCX digital track, along with the SCX converter piece to Scalextric Classic.

If I purchase a new Scalextric ARC set, along with the the Scalextric converter piece from Sport to Classic, can I extend the track to using SCX Digital with all the pieces I own?

Obviously the SCX power base or crossovers wouldn’t work. So mainly asking about straights and curves.

SCX made several different types of "digital" track with slightly different track connectors.

Could you post some pictures of the types of track you are thinking of combining?

Would you be wanting to make the track analog and digital?

As far as the converters /adapters are concerned I am pretty sure it will work.

Whlile SCX did use different types of track for digital I don`t think they were dissimilar enough that hooking them up would not work.

If memory serves (and that is a very unreliable thing) I believe there is an extra rail hidden either at the bottom of the slot or on the side or something that helps carry the digtal signals.

All digital slot car systems are different (unlike digital train systems). The SCX was most unique in that the car initiates a lane change by loweing a "tongue" out the bottom of the guide blade. I believe it was highly developed that if you initiated the change too late the tongue would not extend thus avoiding de-slotting.

I also thin the added advantage was the lane-change mechanism was completely mechanical and snapped back immediately once the tongue had passed making it unlikely that a car would accidentally change lanes.

Scalextric`s system with the IR (infra red) sensors means it is possible for shorter cars to initiate a lane change and the flippers not go straight in time causing both cars to change lanes....

Anyway.. I digress:

One thing all digital systems have in common is there are electronics and gubbins in the track and mixing systems will usually cause the track not to work.

If I were to attempt this I would disembowel the SCX stuff completely and use tape or something to make sure the flippers do not move on their own.

If you plan to race analog and digital you have to make sure the rails of the lanes do not cross.

At the end of the day unless there is something unique about the SCX track (which usually there isn`t as it is the same length and radii of Scalextric track) there isn`t a big advnatage apart from you would be saving something from the landfill...

Even if you swapped out the SCX digital parts for Scalextric I think the systems are so dissimilar that it would not work....

If the pieces of track have no digital parts i.e. are basically analog track as in the picture above they will likely work using the adapters you showed...

Let us know how you get on,,...