Enamel Tins Vs Acrylic Dropper Bottles??

Morning everyone,

I have always used the Humbrol Enamel tins for my Airfix builds, however I am finding now that there seems to be a good sized portion of the enamels now discontinued.

Personally, I am baffled by this decision from Humbrol as there would still be a vast number of Airfix kits out there that would require these paints.

Only yesterday I went through the instructions of my 1:24 Hellcat kit and already found a handful of paint numbers required but no longer available in enamel tin format!

Off the top of my head enamels 74, 123, 125, 224 and 226 are discontinued that I need. The Hellcat was only released in 2019, seems stupid in my opinion!

As the subject heading suggests, my question is what are people's opinions please on the Acrylic Dropper bottles which seem to be growing in range numbers (151 colours according to the Airfix website) compared to the Enamel tins (now only 86 colours available according to the Airfix website) ??

Would it be the better option to convert to these droppers?

I like to build my kits using the same brand/type of paint, I don't like the idea of mixing brands or enamels with acrylics so I have a choice to make before starting the Hellcat!

I am currently using Tamiya Acrylics on my 1:32 Lancaster build (HK Models kit) and I must say their new paint formula is nothing like it used to be so already I have made the choice to not use them in the future but will continue for the rest of the build.

Thanks all, I look forward to the suggestions! :-)

Well Casper, you only have to look further down this sub-forum to see that this topic has been discussed many, many times. I refer you to the replies in those threads.

I guess you could say its a case of me not doing my homework first 🙈😂. General thoughts I feel from reading back through some of the posts/comments is that Humbrol are phasing out the Enamels. Definitely need to do more homework as I'd like to know how to use them in an airbrush as well as hand brushing...

Only issue for me (if I go ahead and convert to Droppers) is that my local model shop only stocks the Vallejo acrylics so looks like I'd have to go further afield or maybe order direct from Airfix themselves. I'd much rather stick with the Humbrol brand, better the devil you know than forking out on different brands and finding the results are poor like I've found with Tamiya...

Enamels. Definitely need to do more homework as I'd like to know how to use them in an airbrush as well as hand brushing...

I'd much rather stick with the Humbrol brand, better the devil you know than forking out on different brands and finding the results are poor like I've found with Tamiya...

I've got a fair number of Humbrol tinlets that are now unused, due to trying out other media (that I've ultimately found to be superior). I don't like simply dumping stuff, so I thought I'd give the enamels one more whirl. Airbrushing them was not a great experience, it simply reinforced the fact that other forms of paint media are now superior.

Tamiya acrylics spray beautifully thinned with lacquer type thinner. Bristle brushing them is a bear, due to their rapid set, they need a retardant added to them.

The only paints I buy now are lacquer acrylics, Mr Color or Tamiya LP. Using the airbrush they set in 20-30 minutes, including gloss and can be masked over with a suitable low tack medium. There are lots of different paint brands these days and it's all very confusing. It's worth trying a few to see what works best for yourself, but my remaining enamel paints are now consigned to diorama work.

Tamiya acrylics spray beautifully thinned with lacquer type thinner. Bristle brushing them is a bear, due to their rapid set, they need a retardant added to them.

This is exactly the results I am finding with the Tamiya jars! They do indeed airbrush fantastically well but when it comes to hand brushing it looks like its been applied with a stick!

You mention a retardant being added, perhaps this is where I'm going wrong with them as I haven't added that?

I have a few jars that I added the X-20A thinner to in order to airbrush it... looks like I need to find out what this retardant is?

Vallejo acrylics are my 'go to' paints these days.
Whatever you try, you don't need to buy the whole range in one go.

Absolutely, I never buy a full range just build it up and add to it as I go along.

It's all trial & error until we find what we're happy with although I do like to have all the paints required for each kit before starting the build. The Hellcat won't be started until I've finished the 1:32 Lanc so I've plenty of time to make my mind up and go from there.

As my LMS owner is a model maker too I think it's definitely worth another visit for a chat to get his input also. I do know he stocks a full range of Vallejo acrylics so if I opted to go down that route I'd need to find a Humbrol/Vallejo conversion chart of sorts to get the correct match.

I will always go to his store 1st to support his business, it's always been the case that if he can't get what I need then I resort to ordering online..

Ratch, I have watched a YouTube video review of these Dropper bottles however I am now slightly confused...

The Airfix/Humbrol website shop states in the item description that these Dropper bottles can work in conjunction with the Humbrol Acrylic Thinners for airbrushing.

However, the video said the Thinner was currently being worked on and not yet available?

Admittedly, it was uploaded some 10 months and the Droppers in the video also show 'Gen 2' on the label... is there a newer collection of these Acrylic Droppers yet to be showing on the Airfix/Humbrol stop page??

Here is a link to the video I watched:

My use of the dropper bottles is very limited. I did airbrush a small area without thinning (much as I do with Vallejo Model Air) because it says it can be sprayed on the bottle. I was pleased with the result.

Personally I'd use water as the thinner because I'm a cheapskate. I'd do this in the airbrush cup, so as not to waste too much paint.

My use of the dropper bottles is very limited. I did airbrush a small area without thinning (much as I do with Vallejo Model Air) because it says it can be sprayed on the bottle. I was pleased with the result.
Personally I'd use water as the thinner because I'm a cheapskate. I'd do this in the airbrush cup, so as not to waste too much paint.

Thanks for that advice ☺️ no harm being a 'cheapskate' in my book... if it does the same job with same results then happy days 👌

So are they in fact the same Dropper bottles as what is available on the Airfix website or is 'Gen 2' indeed a newer formula yet to be released???

All the Gen2 stuff is beyond me. How can you tell?

I buy the colour I want and try it. Some folks swear by different thinners, retardants and what not. I like to keep things simple. VMA can be airbrushed without thinner - no need to mix ratios of thinner etc, straight from the bottle - simples.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry to drag this subject up again, but it seems fairly relevant to the subject heading.

Should there be any reaction issues if I was to combine using Humbrol Enamels and Humbrol Acrylic Droppers on the same model?

Obviously giving the correct amount of drying time between the different paints.

I have so many Enamels built up over the years it seems such a waste to not use them anymore but, in time, there will soon be numbers that I need to use that are only available in Acrylic form...

Should not be a problem if the paint is fully cured.

Thanks once again for you input Ratch :-)

I use the Humbrol Clear Gloss Varnish after painting/airbrushing the completed model and before applying the decals on the Matt paints.. I trust this too shouldn't really cause any reaction issues on a fully cured mixed Enamel/Acrylic painted model??

I've not used the dropper bottles of acrylic but have used the small pots of acrylic you get in starter sets with tined enamel paint together on the same kit even painted over top of each other and not had a problem with them at all, I brush on humbrol clear gloss varnish after and that's been fine, the only problem ive had with the varnish is if the temperature is hot and vey humid it can dry leaving white marks, but ive got rid of most of these redoing the varnish once the temperatures and humidity has dropped back down

paul

I've not used the dropper bottles of acrylic but have used the small pots of acrylic you get in starter sets with tined enamel paint together on the same kit even painted over top of each other and not had a problem with them at all, I brush on humbrol clear gloss varnish after and that's been fine, the only problem ive had with the varnish is if the temperature is hot and vey humid it can dry leaving white marks, but ive got rid of most of these redoing the varnish once the temperatures and humidity has dropped back down

paul

Thanks for the input, much appreciated 👍