RailMaster Download is also available from HRMS as a ZIP.

Through trial 'n' error I have discovered that if you edit the RM download URL from ending in .EXE to .ZIP then HRMS also provide a zipped version of the current installer. This seems to be something that HRMS have provided as an 'undocumented' feature. The 'zipped' version could in some computer system configurations alleviate some of the security blocking issues. My own browser [Firefox] advises it is a security risk but gives me a simple click button 'ignore' option with no further additional security blocking hoops to jump through.

I have created a clickable URL below that downloads the ZIP. In my trial 'n' error testing I unzipped the file and found it contained the current latest 1.74.5 installer file.

I think it would be useful to the membership if a mod could add the link below to the "RailMaster Download Link" pinned sticky

RailMaster Download [Zipped]

That is a typical Chrome issue in my experience, one reason why I won't use it. There is a post on here somewhere regarding how to edit the Chrome configuration to resolve blocked links. Chrome doesn't like links that are HTTP:// and not HTTPS://

Try pasting the following URL manually into your 'go to address' bar.

http://www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.zip

What happens if you use a different browser to Chrome?

P.S. The link is not a HTML page therefore it is completly normal for your browser page display to not change. It should just open the 'download progress' panel.

Pasting that link manually into the Chrome address bar does work - it downloads the zip file.

That is what I also found with Firefox. Pasting the URL manually didn't throw up any security messages at all, whereas clicking my own link displayed an advisory security warning message, but in my case with an 'ignore and download' button to click.

Being an 'Installer', the .EXE file is already compressed ... I believe.

Thanks Paul.

I looked at the Windows antivirus log and the reason it gave for blocking the exe file was that it contained 'HackTool:Win32/RemoteAdmin!MTB'. I guess that this is the software that HMRS use when logging in remotely to do diagnostics. 'HackTool' is presumably the virus checker's view of the thing, rather than part of the name! I hadn't realised that HMRS installed this as part of RailMaster, and frankly I'd rather that they didn't. I wouldn't knowingly let them or anyone else log in remotely to my computer.

Regards, John

@BB

I've found out why clicking the posted Hornby link raises a Windows security concern whereas pasting the HTTP URL text directly into the Browser Address Bar does not throw up any Windows security issues.

The link in the forum is located on a webpage with a HTTPS URL header. Windows sees this as a suspicious activity trying to download a HTTP file via a HTTPS secure site. Whereas, pasting the HTTP URL directly into the Browser Address Bar originates the download request directly via HTTP with no HTTPS security involvement.

Yes, that makes sense. I'm surprised that HRMS doesn't have a secure website - it's pretty much expected these days for any commercial operator (I don't have a security cert for my personal www.britanniabuilder.com website, because of the extra cost involved).

Perhaps Hornby could be invited to host a copy of the downloads on their secure website?

Regards, John