Unexpected skills

Has modelling Airfix kits helped you develop new skills?

Did it surprise you to find that you've become really good at 3D printing and CAD... for example. Perhaps you've developed other interesting support skills.

Well ..... to be honest modelmaking was the main reason I became an architect. From the age of eleven I was into scale drawings - plans, elevations and sections. Both insofar as interpreting them and also drawing them up. It was a natural progression to architecture!

Does that count!

Not just skills, but materials and tools as well! Having to use a variety of adhesives gives a reasonable idea of what they will or won't do - which came in useful when I had to repair some extensive damage to a large earthenware garden sculpture, when not only cryo-gel glue was useful, but also the ability - refined by scale modelling - to work out the right order to fit a three dimensional shape together - and SWMBO is pleased with the outcome!

First aid; after slicing my thumb open on a scalpel. Dab hand with the steristrips and micropore now!

Modelling kit came in handy repairing wall covering damage in the bathroom (a form of plastic cladding), even airbrushed the mottled finish - nigh on invisible repair now.

Andy

Null_null98 mentioned modelmaking skills used to repair items. This is porcelain ornament I repaired for my daughter after her cat got at it. It had sentimental value which is why it wasn't binned. Had to use fillers, paints and glues + patience. All skills acquired through model making! Here are before and after picsforum_image_64d66eb83db5b.thumb.png.bb4f8f878eaf2f3d458aa8cd24c83ba2.png