Crash Barrier query

Hi Steven and welcome!

As we don't know what set you had as a boy or how long ago you being a boy was we really can't answer that. :-)

I grew up in the 70s and 80s in the US so my slot car aka Scaletxric was H0 Tyco track which is compatible with Sclaextric Micro when it comes to barriers/borders.

My guess though as you mention Sports track you are referring to the most common in UK and her former colonies Scalextric track in 1/32 scale.

The good news is you have lots of options.

Hornby Scalextric track, whether classic (with the two loops or spoons) is the same (with very few exceptions) length, width and radii as modern Sports track.

Any barriers you get for that older track will work on modern Sports track.

But wait!

There's more!

SCX (Spanish Scalextric) made Scalextric track under license and it is more or less a copy of Scalextric Classic track (surface is a bit different).

Finally, Ninco, the other popular slot car brand's track is about .5 mm higher so its barriers will work on Sports track but it will slide a little sometimes.

So here is the run down:

Both Hornby Classic and Sports have barriers and borders that allow cars to slide through corners. They are about 1.5 inches aka 3 cm from the edge of the track. This is not the fastest way round a track but it does mean if you get a tank slapper you might save it before deslotting. Here is one example: https://uk.scalextric.com/products/half-straight-borders-175mm-x-4-c8223 The silver on the right is an "armco" style barrier.

There is also a slightly rare "barriers and clips" pack

https://uk.scalextric.com/products/barrier-and-clips-pack-c8212

that consists of black clips you put on the track and this allows to mount the silver "armco" style barriers that you usually stick into the borders either directly to the track or about 1 cm from the track. Great for when you want a little sliding (and not "riding the rail) driving but are limited on space.

There are also the classic "on track" barriers:

https://uk.scalextric.com/products/scalextric-crash-barriers-stickers-c8191

SCX makes borders that allow the "on track" barriers that clip straight to the edge to be added for maximum drifting. The borders are completely flat and smooth (no rumble strip like Hornby's) so they do not unsettle the car.

SCX also makes "on track" barriers that are as long as a 90° R2 radius turn. They come in red and silver and I like them as it makes setting up the track much quicker. They have 2 styles, one is thinner and one is as thick as the armco style.

Ninco makes "on track" barriers that are slightly higher and larger than the Hornby equivalents. They match lengths to Ninco track which is different to Hornby/SCX so too long to go into... What is really cool with Ninco is they make catch fences that are great for table-top layouts that may need extra protection from dive bombing cars...

So you have lot and lots of options....

FYI: For a (semi) permanent layout some just glue foam rubber to the outside of the border. 2-3 mm thick should do it. It comes in various colors. You can use hot glue which is easily removed with alcohol. It has the advantage of not damaging the car...

Also use the search here as there may be options I have missed...

Good luck!