Revolution Trains Caroline Inspection Saloon unable to read decoder.

Hello All,

I have a Caroline Inspection Saloon in Network Rail Brunswick Green and I think it is superb as a Model.

I have now fitted a ESU LokPilot 5 Basic 59029 DCC decoder but, when I try to read it with my Hornby Railmaster Elink Controller to hopefully add it to my layout, I am getting nothing at all.

I have added the four Bachmann DRS coaches to my layout in the past with no issues.

I do remember with the Accurascale TPE Mk5 Driving Trailer after fitting a decoder I had to put a bit of pressure on to the top of it when it was on the programming track. I have tried this with Caroline, but no joy I'm afraid.

If anyone can help with advice, suggestions etc it will be much appreciated.

Look forward to your replies.

Kind regards Richard.

You really need a Multimeter on Ohms resistance scale.

Check that you have electrical continuity between the wheels with the pickups on them and pins 21 & 22 on the decoder socket (with 21 pin decoder removed). Pin 22 (21 next to pin 22 in the same row) is diagonally opposite the missing pin 11 used for orientation alignment.

If you haven't got continuity between relevant wheels and pins 21 & 22, then investigate further as to why not and correct.

If you do have continuity, then try the decoder in another loco, if you still can't see the decoder in Railmaster in a different loco then consider the decoder being faulty.

This is where having an ESU Decoder Tester along with a Multimeter in the toolbox is a crucial addition. The ESU Decoder Tester is not that expensive and well worth having as it also tests all the common decoder pin variants from 8 pin to 21 pin. Note that the ESU Decoder Tester replicates the loco platform and works with your normal DCC Controller (in your case Railmaster / eLink). It does not duplicate the DCC Controller function, in essence it duplicates the loco instead.

Hello All,

I have managed to get Caroline working with all lights correctly on or off etc. I am delighted. I think I had a mix-up/confusion with the CV address. But sorted now. I have even now changed CV29 to alter the directional control of the lights.

I big thank you to all that replied, it has been much appreciated, and shown and encouraged me that the support is there. Cheers again.

Kind regards to all.