AMG Mercedes DTM C Class

Monkey47

I've just taken a punt and bought a AMG Mercedes DTM C Class in white. I can't find another one anywhere is it a reproduction shell? The decals look like waterslide not the usual smooth finish. The rear spoiler isn't glued/welded it's push in. Can anyone spread any light on it please?

forum_image_650492067f60a.thumb.png.12f06f603ace677f8c969f11d0ee5dc0.png

• 2 weeks later...

It sometimes called water tamp or water transfer.

It is a process where basically the entire livery is printed on a thin membrane that is floated in water and then the body is lifted from underneath and the membrane sticks basically painting and and putting the decals on the car in one go.

In the right light you can see that there are not individual decals but one big decal.

Some claim it is more durable.

It is faster and cheaper as all cars are white and you just have have the tamp made up.

Some argue it has the advantage that the car underneath is white so if you find a way to remove the tampo you have a clean white car you can paint to your heart's content...

The disadvantage is cars with lots of sharp edges and wings like formula or Indy car don't work as well.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that. Definitely individual stickers on this one. I dont see why someone would go to the trouble of taking the tampo off to replace it with individual stickers?

The only difference I can see in the shell is my black AMG has an "L" number marked on it (arrowed) - it's not on the white one. All the mould markings are the same.forum_image_6542a87a604a4.thumb.png.d3891285ab6de3a8e4db76a77cd6740a.png

Tampo can be removed fairly easily with nail polish remover (there are some without acetone) and sometimes alcohol so it is not too terribly uncommon.

The only thought I had was maybe this is a Germany-specific model as it is part of the German Touring Car series.

Whoever did it put everything in the correct place.

Regarding the "L": One of my biggest gripes on products today is the lack of clear labeling. For years I didn't know what iPhone I had because it is not marked on the outside.

Yes I am sure there is some setting somewhere but I prefer not requiring more than a glance to figure it out.

Hornby also has a habit of putting series and article numbers on parts that bear little to know resemblance as to what the product actually is.

The bottom of the track usually only has a be letter on like, "L" or "C"... you need some sort of Rosetta stone table to know what it all means...

For really technical stuff like a wiring diagram I understand but for every day things I htink it is a bit annoying...