Downloading software and firmware for Railmaster

I have suffered a total failure of the hard disc on the pc I use to operate railmaster on my layout. As a result I cannot access software/firmware I need to run my layout. I need to download new software/firmware to my new pc. I still have my evaluation disc and its registration key, but obviously I cannot access the program. I purchased my Elite and registered to firmware originally in Oct 2013, and it was still functioning well up to the hard disc failure. Can anyone advise?

Loosing the PC has absolutely no impact on the Elite firmware. Therefore you do not need to concern yourself with the firmware element of your question.

RailMaster software is downloadable from the pinned sticky threads at the top of this forum section.

Do not use your original CD disk. You just need the key number printed on it.

As you probably didn't deactivate RM on the old PC you will need to fill in the 'key reset form' generated by RM after you have re-installed it from the download and tried to activate it with the original key. You must ensure that you enter the requested data fields with EXACTLY the same text and email address as you used originally, else the key activation will fail.

I suggest that you select the 'PC failed' option from the list of reasons for requesting a key reset.

P.S Before doing anything regarding RM software. I suggest you connect the Elite to your PC and invoke the 'Plug n Play New Device Detected' routine and let Windows install the Elite Driver. See the Railmaster FAQ1 for guidance. Once the Elite is correctly recognised in Windows Device Manager, leave the Elite powered and connected when you run the RM downloaded installer.

They all work, but some users (not all) have to jump through numerous security hoops to get them to work on their PC configuration.

For example, Don't use Chrome as the browser to download RM, use Firefox if you can or Edge if you can't.

If using Edge you have to amend some Windows settings first.

The linked page below provides a clickable link to a CNET page that tells you how to change Windows settings to allow Edge to download blocked files such as RM.

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/problems-downloading-railmaster-339823?ccm_paging_p=1

One of the download links in the pinned stickies is this one below but unfortunately posted in the pinned sticky in its clickable Hyperlink form - and to help you with the download - reproduced below in its raw unformated text form (read further below).

http://www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.zip

Once the above link downloads you will need to unzip it to extract the RM Installer.

The posted clickable Hyperlink in the pinned sticky is a problem because it is a HTTP hyperlink published on a HTTPS page. The S is security related and Windows does not like loading a HTTP page from within a secure HTTPS page. This can be got around by copying the raw unformated URL text above into a completely new empty browser tab and pressing return instead of clicking the posted clickable hyperlink. It may still throw up a protestation because of the missing S but with the right Windows security setting adjustments as described further above they can be got around.

Alternatively, use an Apple iPad or Android tablet to download the file then transfer it to your PC. Apple IOS & Android do not see the file as a threat.

There are numerous workarounds to download RM for PC savvy users. I agree this shouldn't be the case, but it is just a fact of life as HRMS seem unwilling to pay Microsoft to get HTTPS Security Certification on their download servers.

@paul

The posted clickable Hyperlink in the pinned sticky is a problem because it is a HTTP hyperlink published on a HTTPS page. The S is security related and Windows does not like loading a HTTP page from within a secure HTTPS page. This can be got around by copying the raw unformated URL text above into a completely new empty browser 

Subject stickie post amended per your request.

Although you say the HDD has failed, if placed in a USB Caddy some of the files may be readable even if the PC wouldn't boot from it.

If files can be read, then try and recover the file "activate.dat" from the RM Program folder. Could this file be retrieved from a Windows back-up?

If you can retrieve this file and you copy it into the RM Program folder on the rebuilt PC then the key reset form will auto populate with all the correct original data you used when RM was first activated.