McLaren 765 LT Build Review

Ratch

I like that the sprue tree is illustrated with each assembly step, indicating where each part is located. I will follow the basic assembly sequence, though I may paint at later stages. Each part was cleaned up with a sanding stick or scalpel to remove excess plastic. Where practical I shall use the tube glue provided, though Precision Poly will be used where application is critical.

53215945684_064e10d5d4_z.jpg

I assembled the wheels then airbrushed them with the rear axle and brake discs. 

53222107321_94276d46d3_z.jpg

A second coat is required.

The body shell was assembled. At this point I was planning ready to spray the orange, when I noticed that one of the wing mirrors was missing from the runner. 

53221240467_6b1ac21496_z.jpg

I hadn’t rinsed the pieces before starting assembly, so it wasn’t lost down the plughole. Checking back to my photographs of the runners, the wing mirror was missing all along.

53230877717_a19b4eab6a_z.jpg

The brake pads were brush painted and I did some touching up. 

53231747261_4254321844_z.jpg

The dashboard decal was also applied. 

53232126524_7d00f41f0a_z.jpg

53230877687_fe94989b20_z.jpg

Assembly of the body shell seems straightforward, but I feel uneasy about a gap at the rear. 

53231747226_37a2e7e4bd_z.jpg

Maybe it’s meant to be there. I just wish the instruction sheet was more explicit about it. 

53232050993_effbc3abcd_z.jpg

I fitted the wheels, rear spoiler and the one wing mirror that I had.

53232126514_fb4f78269f_z.jpg

ive had that problem with paint before silver on a P51 mustang, found that if you keep brushing it gently as it sort of dries it brakes the surface tension and starts to cover wont be perfect and it will take a few coats but it works and covers well in the end.

its turned out well ratch

sorry ratch id not finished writing and id accidently sent it when i got side tracked and not noticed and it sounded a bit off and patronising to you i do apologise for that

as i was saying

its turned out well ratch i like the orange and black, have you found the cars easier to build the more you make I've only built one and sometime ago, just bought the bundel with the work station and mat which now comes with a car for my son and i can see him asking for help with it

No offence taken Paul. I have persevered in the past. I guess I was a little more impatient this time, and turned to the Vallejo paint because I've never had that problem with them.

I know that plenty of modellers knock the Gift Set paints, saying they're unusable. That's a far too sweeping statement. Some must hate change, or doing things differently to the way they've always done things. Anything that doesn't perform in the way they're used to is useless. I'm not an Uber-Modeller, but I've learned to adopt, adapt and improve. I'm posting a build of a 54mm figure on another forum, and someone complimented me on my use of oil paints - I'm using acrylics only, so good results can be achieved with the new-fangled paints.

The decals were applied using Humbrol DecalFix. I painted the headlights black and re-touched the orange in places.

53243112214_805828682f_c.jpg

In conclusion, it was disappointing to have the wing mirror missing. Airfix really must up the QC game in India, this is not the first time that I’ve had defects in new kits. That said, it’s a great little model. If younger modellers are in to cars, these 1/43 new tools will encourage them to take up the hobby. They are well designed and generally go together well. Thanks to Airfix for the opportunity to build this kit.