Missing paints in schemes

Richard-368268

Dear people of the forum,

when I go to buy a model aircraft I look underneath the scheme I would like and check the paints I need, which I don't have at the time. I am new to the hobby. I have discovered on many aircraft that upon receipt of the model the instructions inside show paints that are required that were never mentioned on the 'paints required' section on the website. I have found this many times, not just small little, near inconsequential ones, but in some cases half the camo scheme, or the entire underside of an aircraft. This is really frustrating. I wish the people at Airfix would sort it out.

I emailed them about the Spitfire MkVc I bought which has 4 paints missing from the website, the inner cockpit colour, half the camo scheme and two that don't matter very much, but they still haven't changed it. Now I check on scalemates in the instructions before I buy and have found plenty of other examples of major, important paints missing. It's so frustrating to buy a model, then to go to build it and find that you don't have all the paints you need through no fault of your own. It wouldn't take them long to check and change it all. I can't have been the first person to notice this. I usually can only afford to buy one lot of £30 worth of gear a month, so if I don't have the correct paints then my model is useless to me for almost a month. Please could the kind people at Airfix do something about this.

Thank you kindly,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard, I've noticed the same, and as a returnee to the hobby it was a little irritating... Having purchased and built a few kits, the stash of paint is growing and there are some reasonable substitutes that are close enough to what is specified. There are also some paint manufacturers who sell themed packs of paint that can work out cheaper than buying them individually.

Nick

This may be intimidating, but as you get into this hobby you will find that no manufacturer lists all the paints you need, and doesn't necessarily list the correct colours either. They all recommend paints from their own range, whether they're correct or not. Modellers decide which paints they prefer (enamels, acrylics and brands) and which paints match the colours of real examples. I have accumulated hundreds of acrylic paints because of the varied subjects I like to build.

If you want to know which colours are best for specific subjects, ask.

• 3 months later...