Ringfield motor conversion options

kiltedscot

You may be thinking of CD/DVD drive motors. Several folk do conversion kits but you need a 12 volt motor for reliability, life and control. Many offer 6 volt and even 3 volt motors, the latter being useless and the former being almost acceptable if you don’t want fine control.

Also be aware some locos need a slim motor as the standard width motor fouls the centre wheels.

This is an HST I converted using a bit of cardboard tube as my adapter. More expensive 3-D printed adapters are available.

forum_image_652928a24901a.thumb.png.77cff23d85ca607b9d77dca54f10009e.png

Some of the early loco drive models retained the ringfield motor housing in the tender, both as weight and extra pickups.

Pull some of the service sheets to see how,

Yes I did. I saw the video from Charlie at Chadwick Model railways on YouTube, bought the kit off hornswhistlesworkshop and fitted it in my old Hornby class 25. Really easy installation and the loco ran much smoother than when it was fitted with the 3 pole ringfield. The only downside is because you are still using the old ringfield wheels and gears you can only pick up power from the side of the bogie that doesn't have traction types. It definitely was an improvement. The kit is a bit more expensive than others but it seems that the guy knows what he is doing and tailors the motor to specific models (he has different versions dependant on loco top speed).

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, that one sentence concerning 6v and 3v motors told me what I needed to know. Thanks. I have just started in this hobby, not even built my track yet (house being built) so in the interim I purchased all that I thought would be needed. In this I got a cute little Lima shutter class 09. I changed out the motor and added a Hornsby doc chip and put her on the rails. It took off like a rocket. I tried to get answers from the supplier as to why this would be ( a well known Scottish junction) but despite having sent several enquiries, no response was forthcoming. Now I know. Thanks very much 96RAF