Using Scalextric bodies as the basis of super new Airfix kits

MG Writer 2

I know it was tried some years ago as a short-lived ‘Hornby kits’ experiment but is there any chance of taking the bodies of suitable brilliant Scalextric cars and offering them with additional sprues as Airfix kits? They’d be great for trackside static models to supplement a Scalextric circuit and be a great extension of the sister Airfix brand at the same time. Mark I Lotus Cortina? Mini Cooper 1964/5? MGB? Jaguar Mark I? Aston Martin of all eras?

I was always wondering the other way round.. for example there is the Triumph Herald and TR4 that could be made into slot cars...

I know what you mean and of course some people have been known to create their own; I think one of the problems is that those original Airfix kits that you mentioned have separate bonnets and other bits - the Herald for example has a super lifting bonnet that I guess would need to be glued shut for Scalextric slot car purposes! Another point is the progress that has been made in other areas; for instance the Airfix MGB kit dates from 1966 and has an opening bonnet and no chrome (other than the rare US Airfix kit) whereas the more recent Scalextric MGBs are better detailed with nice chrome parts.