Aux output - Elite controller

ModelerXYZ

You could, but note that it is 15 volts DC and not 12 volts. Also any current you take out of the AUX output is now not available for running your DCC layout. Particularly an issue if the lighting is based upon GoW incandescent bulbs and not LEDs.

IMO it is much better technical practice to run general layout lighting accessories from a separate power supply of either 5 volts or 12 volts DC. Cheap as chips and readily available. Don't skimp on current. A one amp supply is likely to run out of current as and when more lighting is added, much better to source a 5 amp supply on day one then not only is the power supply less stressed but also has expansion capacity.

I find that once a modeller experiences the layout with lighting, then more lighting products are added over time.

Also, running accessories designed for 12 volts are likely to be stressed and have shorter life spans when run at 15 volts.

My lighting circuits are all LEDs, and I doubt I will use the full capacity for running trains. My brain power can only handle me controlling about 4 or 5, after that I won't be able to stop them crashing into each other. I might do a seperate power supply for lighting anyway in time. I designed it for the 15VAC accessory output on my HM2000, so it should handle the voltage.

XYZ