Block detection with Hornby Elite

S-366915

Hi all,

I have a DCC layout with mostly Hornby locos, and an Elite controller. I plan to move into computer control. Is it possible to introduce block detection into this set up, without changing the Eilte?

So far I understand:

Detection module (IR or current or light) -> DCC decoder-> Elite-> Computer software

Is this correct? If yes, can I use R8247 as the DCC decoder? Any recommendations for this DCC decoder which will work with Hornby for block detection?

Apologies if my query is incorrect. Just trying to make sense of this complex piece. Thanks.

I think you may have the wrong end of the stick here.

Any DCC controller not just the Elite will send a command to the track and a normal decoder equipped loco, that is all it does.

To make use of block control for automatic running you need some trackside components, to feedback to an operating software package what is happening on track. The software makes decisions based upon its programmed setup and tells the DCC controller which command to send back to the loco decoder on track. No controller or loco modification is required, but the track will need some modification according to the block detection used.

A simple example would be a train activates a ‘sensor’ approaching a station, the sensor passes this flag via an interface module back to the software running the layout, which tells the controller to tell that loco to stop in the station.

There are many and varied sensors, such as reed switches, Hall effect sensors, IR detectors, bar code readers, current detectors, etc and the operating software will have just as many ways of dealing with these. The software setup can be quite complex.

The R8247 is an accessories decoder, designed to operate solenoid point motors, turn on lights, operate signals, etc, but it is not a block detection device.

You may wish to have a read of the user manual for TGG in the DCC forum sticky post, or if you want to learn more about the wider block detection methods have a read of the Rocrail or JMRI user manuals.

Railmaster has all the software elements for loco detection but is held due to lack of hardware. You can see the associated detection commands in the application.

Other loco detection systems are available in greater or lesser complexity but they all rely upon software to use them.

One important capability in the Elite that makes it suitable for use in these systems - a USB connection to a computer running the layout control software.

As for the 8247 being suitable - it will run your points but has no capability that would allow it to play a part in the actual detection hardware/software. Although it’s possible the capability designed for frog switching in other brands may make them more useful than the less capable 8247. I suggest some research here might be useful.