HMS Suffolk build

KiwiKev

My first version of this kit became an HMS Exeter conversion, partly because I had two of them and so had one "spare" that I was happy to experiment with.

Its quite striking how big this cruiser is, longer than Graf Spee, which was indeed fortunate to meet the British squadron minus HMS Cumberland, as had two 8 inch cruisers been present her demise may have been much quicker.

There are a few things that immediately need rectifying in this kit to my mind. I have already increased the rake of the stem as it looked far too upright, almost vertical. There are no torpedo tubes so some will have to be sourced, even if they are hidden below the deck over-hang. The outer prop shafts are way too far out, I've moved mine inboard and further back and it just looks a lot better. The props supplied also look way too big, so I'll build some smaller replacements.

Finally the forward 4 inch mounts are virtually trapped beneath the circular light AA platforms above them. While they should be close, when fitted as intended the mounts can't even swivel, and the barrels would be hopelessly impeded in their train.

I decided to move the forward 4 inch mounts back, necessitating new mounting pads, and reducing the length of the gun crew shelters, all very fiddly. It was only after doing this that I realized a MUCH easier option would have been to file off the locating pins on part 83 and slide the whole bridge structure forward slightly. There seems to be ample room between the bridge and B turret. I recommend anyone concerned about the same thing use this techniqus and don't do what I've done, even though it should turn out OK.

forum_image_655f0c3505e7f.thumb.png.f1344d90f6c82525228d19f95cfb9f11.png

What colour scheme are you going for? I did mine in the 3-tone wavy colours. You're making a better job of building it than I did! I basically built it out of the box and patched up some old photo etch I had in the spares box. The dedicated WEM etch didn't exist at the time. I did attempt to rig the walrus though!grinning

We really are nuts aren't we?

forum_image_65610da31982c.png.656d71a1376b58c4dc5c0b0e9ecdb7bb.png

What colour scheme are you going for? I did mine in the 3-tone wavy colours. You're making a better job of building it than I did! I basically built it out of the box and patched up some old photo etch I had in the spares box. The dedicated WEM etch didn't exist at the time. I did attempt to rig the walrus though!grinning
We really are nuts aren't we?

forum_image_65610da31982c.png.3cb5eebe2d1db20235de962e7edfd4f4.png

Probably doing something similar paint wise although not getting too carried away with accuracy. Might have to order the WEM photo etch. Great rigging job there. Are we nuts? Well, it definitely keeps us off the streets. Update, although the wiki site on HMS Suffolk implies it had quad torpedo tubes throughout its life, apparently they were removed for the big refit, so the model is accurate in not having them, which is one less thing to scratch build.

I have to say I am amazed at how many times I'm not that enthused by a model, but then once I start it I end up loving it. These old kits really transform with a bit of extra detailing. I grabbed some pictures of a 1:350 scale model of Suffolk to help guide the detailing. None of the 1:600 scale Airfix models have been a complete disappointment although some are more of a challenge than others, but they can all be completed as really nice products. Suffolk never really grabbed my enthusiasm before but as there were quite a few kits available a year or two back I grabbed a couple. Now really enjoying this one, and appreciating the ship a lot more. Can't wait for the PE to arrive. Apparently it contains bridge windows which will help improve the rather basic bridge. I've cut the window and roof level off it, now waiting for the PE windows. Building these is kind of like a seccond childhood for me. Only problem might be I run out of subjects in this scale, but wouldn't mind doing Hood and Bismarck again to a better standard.

Progress to date. Hull is basically finished, just props to glue on when most of the handling is finished. I created 4 slightly smaller props as the ones supplied looked bigger than a battleships. Whether they are right or not I can't say but they just looked too big. Main and secondary turrets have been detailed, funnel plating scribed on, and the hangar has been modelled with one door partially open, which I quite like. Awaiting PE before completing the bridge.forum_image_656c1e1acd1d1.thumb.png.850295283581ca422967ea41a325416b.png

forum_image_656c1e262a3f0.thumb.png.fb16e593a9b11fdad4cb40d4f8278f43.png

An additional modification I've made (compare with the same area in the first picture on previous post) is to cut away the lower forward side walls of the bridge structure. The bridge wings should overhang, with a clear area beneath them, and with the superstructure walls going straight back from the front face. The box art actually shows this quite well on the version showing the ship in camoflage. I was tempted to leave this as is, but it is pretty obviously wrong and not hard to correct at this stage of the build.

The original molded item has the lower bridge structure walls conforming to the outline of the bridge wings, with no resulting over-hang. This modification also has the added benefit of the ladderway coming up from the covered boat deck flowing more logically into an open deck space.

forum_image_656d6642c7933.thumb.png.f69bb79ad949c066cafe4901f310d67d.png

• 2 weeks later...

Although the paint is still a bit rough, this shot shows the PE windows fitted to the bridge area, a great improvement over the original part. The funnel plating scribing is also visible. Its not the best in terms of neatness. In future I must take the time to build a proper jig for this type of thing, as trying to hold straight edges over tiny pastic parts while scribing is asking for trouble.

The added bilge keel can also be seen. The PE cross bracing between decks can also be seen. I have varied it slightly from the instructions after looking at some other models.

The superstructure under the catapult platform is not all solid so parts of it may have to be painted black with grey painted cross bracing PE glued in front to make it look like an empty space under. I noticed this too late to properly modify it.

Quite liking this model but finding the camoflage scheme somewhat challenging to get looking good.forum_image_657f4a7a2ee3e.thumb.png.a3dc19b8b69b9f07ec924588e23f62f3.png

• 3 weeks later...

Completed model. The photo etch is quite tricky in places, especially the mast top antennas. I recommend assembling the entire central mast rods with PE prior to gluing on the model, however you have to make sure everything is aligned properly, including the rake of the masts that should roughly match the funnels, whereas the mast top antennas I suspect should be vertical. Some sort of jig would assist.

In the end I didn't hollow out the lifeboats as that was getting too hard, so just filled and flattened the top of them and glued the photo etch tops for them straight on. I used the original davits as I never really like the PE ones, however on reflection I think I'd try to replace the originals with thinner wire ones as they seem a bit too heavy now that they are fitted.

In conclusion I found this model quite enjoyable to build. Comparing it with other larger scale models there still appear to be some slight errors that might offend the rivet counters, such as missing HACS either side of the bridge, but overall quite pleased with the results.forum_image_659349a2171c9.thumb.png.d9a470cfc8956dee2c99ec2e04a0c208.png

forum_image_659349a90be8c.thumb.png.1c915985b87256f6e85555d42c491d40.png

forum_image_659349af85ed0.thumb.png.61215d999d23b202d20af39f4b2a5001.png

forum_image_659349b8608a3.thumb.png.228d270d6e483c901918128a3bfcee29.png