Invasion stripes

null_null981707818191

I suspect that this is a subject that has been aired in the past, but I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer to my question... so here goes: as the instruction to apply the black and white 'invasion stripes' was passed out to the squadrons involved in June 1944, the stripes would presumably have been hand-painted by those at the sharp end, using whatever white and black paint (and brushes!) they had available. I read somewhere that the standard RAF broom was 18" wide which determined the width of the stripes, but this might be mere rumour. Anyway, would it be reasonable to suppose that the stripes would have been fairly roughly applied and that the white might well have been a bit 'patchy' looking and the edges not have been exactly sharp and straight? I'm building some D-Day aircraft (that flew from Warmwell, naturally) and in the absence of decals, I'm hand-painting (as is usual for me anyway). I'd be interested in the views of those more expert on these matters!

i can remember reading that some ground crews used the yard brush to paint the stripes giving them the width of the stripes ( think this was the biggest brush that could fit in the tin /bucket they used all at once ) but i have got pictures where the white stripe is one size and the black stripes are a different size also got some pictures of ground crew using hand brushes.

as for patchy looking some appear to have a good even coverage but i did read that some were patchy as these were rushed because the aircraft were painted just before they flew on operations ( the ground crews been at it all night or only just receiving the orders eary in the morning, some squadrons never receiving the order and flew without stripes) most appear to have quite a neat edge to the eye.

black seams to weather much better than the white I've got one picture where the stripes are been repainted sometime after D-Day.

Hi Paul71,

Interesting that you mentioned that on some the white stripe is wider than the black. On the two images that show this both are on Typhoons, each with 3 slim black stripes and 3 wide white stripes. These are not D-day markings, they are a recognition marking applied to Typhoons up to sometime in early 1944, to distinguish them from Fw190s. From D-Day the Typhoons would receive normal D-Day stripes. As a rule of thumb, if the Typhoon has a 3 bladed prop and/or 'Car Door' entrance, it is pre D-Day, even if it has the unusual stripes. These would have been put on at the factory and be neatly done.

Confusing the Tiffie with the Butcher Bird was a concern. I think these were the first identification markings tries - white nose & yellow wing bands - before the black & white stripes.

No. 486 NZ Squadron, Wittering, July - September 1942

50982735638_0c6e510f6f_z.jpg

50983546212_d1c6f53b49_z.jpg