E-Link not finding laptop

Hi guys,

Im missing something, but not sure what.

I know the basics, of pc,s and ive got the elite, set up on my layout and all is ok

I now got the elink and rail master downloaded,

Bur my laptop cant find the E link, but when i plug it in, or unplug, laptop makes the normal sounds,

I am plugging it directly to laptop

So what am I missing, and I have looked on various forums, but not find what im looking for

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

We need to know a few details first.

What platform are you running on the laptop.

Have you loaded RM already before plugging in the eLink. If already loaded was it from a disk or download from the links on this site.

The regime I for newer windows platforms is to plug in the eLink before loading RM and let Windows find it and load its own drivers. Earlier Windows use the Hornby drivers. The difference is paramount.

Have you followed the help site sticky how-to’s on the RM index page.

You say you have an Elite. Be aware that you can use the Elite with Railmaster, so you don't have to use the eLink.

Go to the top of the Railmaster forum and open the 'Railmaster FAQ Index' pinned sticky thread. Follow the guidance in FAQ1 which covers the exact issue you are reporting. Note that if using Windows 7, 8, 10 or 11 the Elite and the eLink both use exactly the same driver, thus the guidance in FAQ1 is applicable to both hardware units.

Personally, I would use the Elite with RM rather than eLink. Firstly, I find the Elite works more reliably with RM than eLink and secondly, you can edit a line in the .ini file so that using the knobs on the Elite feeds back into the RM slider throttle.

This also gives the best of both worlds as you can still use the Elite without RM running. With eLink you have to load up and run RM even if you just want to check something out on the quick.

Track short circuit recovery is more efficient when using the Elite as you have a hardware button on the Elite to do that. With eLink, short circuit recovery is a software initiated process.

For me, using Elite with RM is a no brainer. All advantages and no disadvantages.

If your Elite is faulty, then that of course changes this recommendation.

If you put all your Accessory Decoders on a separate DCC Bus that is not connected to your track, then you can run the track & locos using the Elite as RM Controller A and operate your DCC Accessories via the eLink connected as RM Controller B that powers the separate Accessory Bus. If you did that, any track short circuits would still leave your Accessories such as point control still functional. Thereby allowing any point initiated short to be cleared before enabling the track power again.

In essence, IMO you are 'missing out' by not using the Elite with RM.

I see from your posting history that you raised an issue with getting eLink to work with RM a year ago in Dec 2022.

I am assuming then that you gave up with RM a year ago and purchased your current Elite instead, but now a year later you are having another go at getting RM up and running.

Outlining what you have done historically could provide clues to your currently raised query.

RM is written for Windows XP, therefore it doesn't handle dynamically changing com port settings very well, in fact not at all. That is why com port configuration setting mismatches are consistently the cause of failed controller communication and require manual checking & editing.

I still can't understand why you want to use the eLink with RM rather than connecting RM to your Elite.

RM is written for Windows XP, therefore it doesn't handle dynamically changing com port settings very well, in fact not at all. That is why com port configuration setting mismatches are consistently the cause of failed controller communication and require manual checking & editing.
I still can't understand why you want to use the eLink with RM rather than connecting RM to your Elite.

We have found that the increased baud rate of the eLink hardly ever skips commands in RM whereas the Elite can and often does, such that Ray uses 2 x eLinks as his TGG controllers. I use Elite and eLink as my 2 x RM/TGG controllers.

Regardless of that great news that you have gotten RM to work with your eLink David.