Help with Hornby select (sound and lights selection)

Daryll-374011

I wondered if any one would help me out. I have purchased a new Bachman Class 158 with sound and I have a Hornby select controller. I’m having trouble getting the loco run with sound correctly? I’m not sure if it’s a faulty loco or the controller can’t operate it. I eventually got I moving but with no sound, and did get some of the lights working with the function buttons. I then tested one of my Hornby loco’s with sound and it worked fine. This is my first time buying a different brand of DCC loco so alittle confused.

To get any meaningful useful responses you must tell forum what the firmware version is on your Select.

The very first number to appear briefly on screen when you connect power and boot up the Select. Expect to see a number between 10 & 20.

If it is a number between 10 & 13, then that is probably the cause of your reported issue.

Also give forum the Bachmann locomotive stock code number and confirm it ends in DS (the DS assumes the loco is factory fitted Digital [Decoder Fitted] Sound).

If you have the latest Select as you say and the other Hornby sound loco runs fine, then the issue is looking more likey to be a fault with the Bachmann Class 158. There shouldn't be any issue running a Bachmann ESU Loksound decoder, if the Select firmware is between 15 & 20 and the correct Digital Power Track connection is being used.

Double check your power track connection. It needs to be either a R8241 or R8242. If it is a R8206 (Buff coloured press buttons) or R602 then these corrupt DCC Signals.

…some of the lights with the function buttons.

Your loco paperwork will tell you which function keys relate to which decoder functions, e.g. Directional lights are always F0, sound on/off is invariably F1, etc.

To select a function on the Select you press a number then the Function key. The screen will say that F number on or off. Repeat those key presses to toggle the function the other way. The lights can be turned on /off simply by pressing the Function key as it assumes you want F0.

Ditto press a number and Function for all the other functions up to F28.

A problem with the Select is the screen has no permanent indication of function state so you need a good memory for what you have selected. Some decoders can only have a few sounds running at once and if these are play thru’ sounds they may be blocking other sounds. A simple way to clear unknown selections is to reset the Select - how to is in the manual. It is assumed you are reading the correct manual and addendum for your updated Select as it is operated much differently from the early firmware versions.

Thank you both for coming back to me, I will have a play with it again later, my worry was that the select wasn't good enough to work the more advanced decoder. I have about 10 locos with sound and light functions, some factory fitted and some I have fitted with Dcc chips and never had problem so it's more likely a faulty unit with the Bachmann so I will send it back, thank you again.