Hornby reverse loop modules

Bundi

I have noted that the newR7327 HM7050 Reverse Loop Module announced in Jan this year is now not scheduled to be released for another 6 months or so. Anyone know if this module is only able to work with eLink/Select/Elite? The "current" R8238 module is only able to be used with Elite/Select so I have read o not an option for myself.

A Hornby RLM will work with any DCC controller that accords with NMRA convention, I.e. eLink, Select, Elite or other makes.

The old R8238 module data-plate indicates 15vAC in and out suggesting it only works with DCC, whereas the spec for the HM7050 Bluetooth module has not been released yet, nor do we even know the available connections, but it is presumed that being part of the HM | DCC (HM7000) system, it will work with either DCC or DC powered tracks, therefore universal.

You may wish to read the Reverse Loop guide here … https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/faq-do-i-need-a-reverse-loop-module-and-how-do-i-install-one-322539 ... for more details about the workings of an RLM.

The "current" R8238 module is only able to be used with Elite/Select so I have read.....

This is not a true statement. The Hornby R8238 will work with ANY 'NMRA Standard' powered DCC system.

The Elite/Select labelling on the switch is misleading. It would be more accurate to label the switch '4 Amp / 1 Amp' as the switch is used to set the 'short circuit' current that triggers the R8238 to switch its output DCC phase. By default, the Elite ships with a 4 Amp power supply and the Select ships with a 1 Amp one, hence why Elite/Select is used by Hornby for the labels. Typical Hornby, trying to demystify electrical technology by not mentioning currents to supposedly help those for whom electricity is totally bamboozling and just creating more confusion as a result. For example, I remember reading questions asking if the R8238 worked with an eLink because eLink wasn't a R8238 switch option.

Note: The actual switching current is about 75% of the 4 Amp & 1Amp max current values.

Previous R8238 forum discussions have shown that the R8238 works more reliably if the switch is in the Select position, even if using an Elite 4 Amp power supply. Previous discussions have also shown the R8238 is more unreliable when using the 1 Amp supply even if the Select switch position is used. Further reasons why the labelling is misleading.