Elite DCC controller programming decoder R8247 Issues

Gary-377663

I am new to this hobby, need some help.

I have Elite DCC controller I purchased from Jadlam, trying to program points decoder R8247. I have followed the instructions that come with the decoder, steps 1 to 8, also tried the DIRECT mode setup in the Manuel. Each time at the end you confirm at step 8 the LED red light flashes once and then again for a second or 2, the controller clicks. According to the instructions LED showed flash 5 times to confirm acceptance. Only get the LED flash 1 red then again stays on for a couple of seconds the controller makes a clicking noise, not sure if the controller is faulty.

Any idea?

Is your Elite up to date, v1.45 is the latest version and flashes leds different to earlier version. The version is on screen briefly at power up.

The problem is you have conflicting instructions in the R8247 and Elite blurbs, with reference to CV153 to confuse things.

The clicking you hear is a relay in the Elite engaging to send the programming burst and this coincides with the red led. If you have an led type track tester this will also light in concert.

The simplest way to program a Hornby acc decoder is to do it away from the layout, using the Elite instructions.

Connect a solenoid to port 4 and move the slider to mid position, then connect the Elite Prog terminals to the R8247. At the Elite select Menu to invoke programming then Accessory then Direct then Address - Write and then enter the address you need (any number 1-4 if this is the only decoder you have). When programming is complete the solenoid will throw indicating success. Confirm all is OK by connecting the R8247 to the Elite track terminals and selecting Acc and address 4. The solenoid should work.

Repeat for any other R8247s using address range 5-8, 9-12, 13-16, etc.

Note that if you try to read-back an address the Elite will not tell you the port address number just the group number of the device - i.e. device 1 with addresses 1 - 4 is group 1, device 2 with addresses 5-8 is group 2, etc.

Just to add. Out of the box, a brand new R8247 Accessory Decoder is already factory configured to port addresses 1-4 and there is nothing more for you to do if you want to use those addresses for operating it.

You could try using the Elite to operate a point motor connected to port 1 using address 1 to test it.

If this test fails, then don't assume something is faulty as your attempt to re-programme the Accessory Decoder may have upset its factory configuration.

But if the test is successful, then you know that your failed attempt to change the address may have been down to operator error (doing it wrong for example).

Knowing what address you were trying to configure would be helpful to the forum.

Also, please confirm whether the R8247 is the original Version 1 or the later Version 2 decoder.

I would also suggest (as 96RAF does as well) that you don't use the instructions in the R8247 manual for configuring the R8247 address. I recommend using the instructions in the Elite manual on Page 58. These instructions are IMO better and eliminate the somewhat confusing & misleading CV513 references documented in the decoder manual.

Just to add a little more clarity to 96RAFs reply.

• For R8247 number one use DCC address 1 to configure it (addresses 2 to 4 are automatically set for the other three ports). Noting that Group Address 1 is returned when reading it.
  • For R8247 number two use DCC address 5 to configure it (addresses 6 to 8 are automatically set for the other three ports). Noting that Group Address 2 is returned when reading it.
  • For R8247 number three use DCC address 9 to configure it (addresses 10 to 12 are automatically set for the other three ports). Noting that Group Address 3 is returned when reading it.
  • etc

You are running 2 different questions here.

One which we believe we have answered but await feedback on is for programming accessory decoders.

The second is now talking about programming locos. You really should start a new thread for the loco question and delete that bit from this thread.