ArcAir and older track compatiblity

Is there a compatibility issue with ArcAir and longer tracks or old track. I purchased a World GT set this Christmas and along with it purchased an older Scalextric set similar to this but with the older track. When I combine the two tracks I get no output from the control anywhere and a Flashing RED light on the Powerbase. When I reduce back to the old track everything works as it should. I have an old Powerbase that came with the old set and two hand held controllers. It does not have power supplies... although obviously I could purchase them. I just hate to give up the new wireless controls.

Hi Byron,

Anything over 10 meters/33 feet is going to likely start to have power issues.

Also if the cars' motors are not turning freely, or if you are using more powerful motors (like on some SCX or NSR models) the ARC AIR might struggle.

When you say "older" track do you mean the kind with the two "loops" or spoons on the end and you are using this converter piece to connect it all up:

https://uk.scalextric.com/products/converter-straight-x-2-c8222

If so the older "classic" track can be from numerous countries, UK, France, Spain... It also is made of all different types of steal. Steal is not a great conductor when compared to other metals.

The slot is also shallower, by the way, meaning most modern Scalextric cars (and most non-Hornby slot cars) will "bottom out" on it.

Classic track is often bent, squished and twisted causing pinching of the guide blade and increase the power consumption.

So this is a long answer to say, while the track is compatible there are lots of reason why it might trip the electronics and make it go into safe mode.

I actually got rid of all my classic track except for the parts for which there is no Sport equivalent (e.g. Goodwood Chicane, Pit lane etc...)

If you really want to keep the classic track you have to make sure it is in really good condition. Rust, even a slight discoloring will increase resistance and therefore cause the powerbase to trip.

Good cleaning tips can be found here:

https://uk.scalextric.com/community/advice/track-maintenance

Many use a railroad track cleaning "eraser" or rubber.

You can also try power taps as mentioned on that page as well.

One common fix is to use copper tape that has conductive adhesive. I have done this on all the classic track i still have. It takes getting used to from an optical perspective but I can assure you it works. Make sure you fold about 5mm of the tape into the "female" side of the rails and wrap the "male" side so you have a copper to copper connection.

Good luck!