SCX Analogue to Scalextric Digital

Hi,

I have recently picked up a second hand digital Scalextric setup for my kids, and have been immediately transferred back to my youth playing it with them. As a result I found myself scouring the internet looking for a Jaguar XJR14, which as a child was my absolute favourite ever racing car. I had seen Martin Brundle destroy the lap record in it at Silverstone in '91 and have been in love with it ever since.

Long story short, I found one and bought it. However, it was an old SCX Analogue car. My understanding was that it should be fairly straightforward to convert to digital with the chip you. Can buy, however after trying this the car was completely dead. I have since read that this can happen as the SCX motors draw more power than the Scalextric ones.

My question is, can I make this car work? If so, do I need to put a new motor in it? And if so, which motor would be the best choice give it looks like it would need an extended shaft to connect to the rear axle.

I'm a total novice at this, but have a basic understanding of electronics. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

Benforum_image_65b8ba8d9599e.thumb.png.d6376fe68145a87df2719d6109ed757b.pngforum_image_65b8ba9a50951.thumb.png.4e593c5e9b5d278d445fa07cd51c84e2.png

Hi Ben,

Couple of questions:

Did the car work in analog mode before?

It looks in fairly good condition but adding some lubricant on the bushings, bearings and pinion may help it out i.e. reduce power consumption.

The easiest way to ensure low power consumption is to remove the magnet.

If you are using ARC PRO you can also reduce the overall power and speed of the car that might help...

Are you sure the retro chip is in working order?

I usually use very small plugs instead of soldering the wires directly. It as the advantage of being able to put the car back into analog mode fairly easily. It also helps if the chip is blown.

You can try to fit a standard Scalextric motor. It can be held in place with hot glue.

Here are some threads elsewhere that might help:

https://www.slotforum.com/threads/new-to-chipping-some-advice-on-scx.206616/

https://www.slotforum.com/threads/ssd-chipping-database.22159/page-68#post-2225481

Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not using ARC Pro. It's a very old digital set (see the picture)

I didn't test it in analogue, mainly because I'm pretty sure my system doesn't offer an analogue option. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only power source I have is the one photographed.

I didn't solder it, I cut the existing wires and then use gel connectors. I have found these more reliable than my soldering in the past, and there is plenty of room inside the body of the car.

The retro chip was brand new. Is there a way I can check if it is in working order without fitting it to another car?

Thanks

Ben

That's the old 4-car powerbase.

Not very powerful at the best of times. Usually 3 cars is the highest number you can run and you are right, it has no analog mode.

You can of course test the analog motor with a 9-volt battery: Just hold it up to the contacts and the motor should spin whether chipped or not.

I am not an electronics expert so the only way I would know in testing the chip would be to put it in a Hornby car and test it...

Good luck!