JOUEF PACIFIC NORD 231C CHAPELON-jouef and lima coaches

The Jouef model was originally available in black and ran on 6v with vastly over-simplified motion, a bit like the early Tri-ang Princess. The later 12v model had a large can motor which had a mind of its own and acted as a flywheel, I used to try and see how far mine would go when you cut the power.

Keeping the same body moulding and very basic chassis the model went through a largely unpainted green stage followed by a short lived brown one.

It was then re-introduced in a green painted version with a standard small motor and only drove the wheels via one cog, all the previous versions drove front and back driving wheels via brass cogs. The new version also had rubbish wheels with plastic inserts that made the loco impossible to quarter correctly as the inserts move. Mine now has an early chassis which is much better for running.

I think your version is the later one, painted brown NORD but original 1950s body with tender dive and scale wheels with much better (although still simplified) rods. I think it looks pretty good for something that was designed as a toy in the 1950s. Over the years it has had at least three types of coupling, the Lanal Tri-ang type, the PECO simplex type and the standard continental type.

I forgot to mention that the picture in your video of the still from ‘(unpermitted word) on the Orient Express’ by Agatha Christie shows a model of a French pacific that was made for the film. It and the coaches from the film now form a restaurant at the side of Bassenthwaite Lake in the Lake District in the UK.