CV1 Short Address

Steve-353799

Yes, CV1 is the short address. CV17 & 18 are for the long address.

In addition, CV29 needs to be set appropriately to make either the short or long address the active address.

DCC CV29 Calculator

Which DCC system are you using? All but the most basic tend to have a specific programming operation to set a long or short address, rather than needing to worry about which CVs are involved.

Thanks Nick I'm attempting to fit a Zimo MS490N 6 Pin Mini Sound Decoder into my Hornby 08 shunter along with the SP12X8X8 Mini Box Speaker. Which I have done OK.

I'm using the good ole Roco Z21 as my command station. I've used the Z21 app (on my ipad) before in conjunction with iTrain with Willie Whitelaw and the Mallard as per my recent video.

But this time I'm having problems with setting the Loco address. I want address 4 and it doesn't appear to be sticking. I've just done another reset and when I than click on the read address button it gives me random addresses everytime I click on it.

Anyway I'm now gonna get back to the company who sold it me and see if they can throw any light on it.

Cheers!

Just to be clear Steve, what Nick has told you applies to all NMRA compliant decoders including your Zimo, and all NMRA compliant controllers including your Z21.

There is nothing in your query that is specific to your hardware as far as I can see. It is simply a matter of possibly failing to read a loco address and apparently a failure to write that address in the first place. And at this stage, we can’t tell whether this is being caused by your decoder or your controller.

I'm afraid my knowledge of the Z21 and its app is limited to having spent a couple of days operating a layout at a show a few weeks ago. It was ok I suppose but it didn't make me want to ditch my good old NCE hand-held throttles. I like buttons and knobs not touch screens :)

Anyway, so you have managed to program loco addresses before (on the program track or whatever the Z21 equivalent to that is)? Shouldn't be any different this time assuming the decoder is installed properly and the loco wheels and programming track are clean so there's reliable communication between system and decoder. If it's reading back random CV values that sounds like dirt or some other reason for a poor connection.

Thanks guys I've been advised to put a slight kink in the 6 pins from the company I've had the stuff from which I've done and it's a better fit but the loco address I'm reading from the decoder is still changing with every press of the read button and that's after another reset.

So he said if that doesn't work they'll have it back for a test. So it looks as if it will be going back tomoz lol

Thanks very much for your help,

Steve

ps I'll keep you posted!